Genuine satsuma?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joanne Spurgeon, May 4, 2021.

1. Joanne Spurgeon

Joanne Spurgeon New Member

20210504_104906.jpg Good morning all

My dad has recently passed and had this vase and was quite particular about it. Can anyone shed any light on if its worth keeping please

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2021
    KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I think it is modern Chinese and not Satsuma at all. Very little value I am afraid.

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is certainly in the Satsuma style, but items that have this type of mark on the bottom date to the later 20th century, and no older than the 1970's going right through to today. Some are also made in China in the Satsuma style, sometimes these just had a 'Made in China' sticker which can be lost/removed over time. As such they do not have much commercial value aside their decorative function.

4. Joanne Spurgeon

Joanne Spurgeon New Member

Thank you both!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, recent Chinese. I don't think they are trying to fake Satsuma ware, the costumes and hairstyles are clearly Chinese.;)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

'Royal Chinese Satsuma' 1980's, not real Satsuma in the sense that all Satsuma is Japanese. However there are some collectors that like these.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry to hear about your Dad...........our Condolences !!!!:(

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted