George Borgfeldt Cranberry Lisa Water Goblet with Optics

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Will D., Aug 13, 2020.

1. Will D.

Will D. New Member

I found a set of Borgfeldt Cranberry Lisa Water Goblets and one of them has an interesting defect. I have never seen this in my short collecting life but I wanted share this and find out if defects are good as in coins and Beanie Babies or are they bad like chips and cracks.

My assumption is that a glass making tool accidentally touched the spiral stem at the top thereby smoothing the spirals out a bit. 20200813_184901 (2).jpg 20200813_184855 (2).jpg 20200813_184901 (2).jpg 20200813_184850 (2).jpg 20200813_184836 (2).jpg What are your thoughts?

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to see what you see.
    To me it looks like a chip.
    upload_2020-8-13_19-9-0.png

3. Will D.

Will D. New Member

On second look maybe it is. If it is a chip I don't understand why it is so smooth. The ridges of the spirals are still present in that area but only very faintly and they are very smooth. Also how does a delicate crystal glass have that significant of a chip and not be totally destroyed.
    Edited.jpg Edit 2.jpg
    In this photo the "chip starts at the black line however you can still see the raised spiral(yellow Circle) right in the middle of the "chip". The whole area is very smooth. Are chips like that possible? All input is welcome.

judy likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very hard to tell from a picture.
    Could have been missed by the factory, and a "flame polish"(don't know if that is the right term) might have smoothed it.

@George Nesmith might be able to tell if it is a factory flaw.

Do know that I have used black wet and dry paper to smooth chips on things I keep.
    I'm sure there are other ways to smooth chips.

judy likes this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks like something happened when the vase was hand manipulate to create yhe twist and rim points. That may have been fire polished

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It wouldn't chip when it was manipulated, when the bowl and stem were brought together, both were soft at that time. A chip would have been done after it had been put through the lehr to anneal the glass. Very probably after it's initial sale.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted