Georgian chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Martyn I F Price, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Hi

I've had this a while. I think that it is oak. It has later fitted corner pieces. It has very irregular/square shaped pegs holding parts of it together. Other parts appear to be glued. This looks 1740s or 1750s to me but a local dealer suggests a date of c1820. Any ideas.

2. The style looks earlier than 1820 to me but I'm not am expert

3. Any ideas as to a probable date? I've done a bit more research and discovered that this type was popular from the late 18th century onward so is 1820 likey?

Many thanks for looking

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Probably not. By not returning in a year, your query dropped well off the radar and down the thread list into oblivion. Where are you and the chair?

BoudiccaJones, judy and James Conrad like this.
  5. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Is this european or American. I am guessing America as the feet are unusual and not something I have encountered and I am european, but i do not have an extensive knowledge of all the chair types and i am just learning. If I may hazard a guess, this chair is late 19th century/20th century and later and was made in America, it is mass manufactured or the base is older and the legs were fitted later. Th elegs look to be fitted mid 20th century later, Maybe have a closer look, examine the nails, and or see if it has screws, check if the nails are handmade or manufactured, check to see if the chair is machined or handmade. Looks machined so at least late 19th century. Failing that cheack the under side of the feet back and front and see how worn they are, see if there is a different wear to the front and back. Some better pictures would help as these are not good quality. There are some experts here that cna tall what this chair is when it was made but a better picture would help. 1908 is my best guess but the front legs?

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The legs are Queen Anne cabriole legs with pad feet, in the period in USA 1740-1765 in GB earlier, 1700-1720 or so.
    This is a revival dining side chair, probably 20th century, I don't think it matters if English or American, single side chairs have little value these days no matter when made.
    Photos are very washed out and hard to tell but, it doesn't look like oak to me

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, YEAH! definitely dropped somewhere! It's a REVIVAL thread!:p

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Hi James

The front legs seem off, and the padded foot looks like a Horses hoove.

Draft saved Draft deleted