Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Georgian(?) cut (ouch!) glass fruit plate
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Joan, post: 2515031, member: 5398"]Back in May 2019 I posted a rectangular glass tray with cuts around the top edge similar to Miscstuff's fruit plates, but didn't get any responses to my questions (I'm not a glass collector, and only bought it because it was so unusual). So this is the first time I've seen a glass dish with similar cuts posted on this forum, and the first time I've seen the terms "wheel cut pieces" and "castellated cuts" so I appreciate learning something new. </p><p><br /></p><p>Anyway, last year I did more online research and it seems that type of castellated cut edge was done as early as the mid-1700s and into the 1800s, but as I mentioned, I'm not a glass expert, so I'm just providing some links to examples of sweetmeat dishes that I found online.</p><p><br /></p><p>The Corning Museum of Glass has a set of <i>"Sweetmeat Dishes circa 1760-1780"</i> with what looks to me like a castellated cut edge: <a href="https://www.cmog.org/artwork/4-sweetmeat-dishes" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="https://www.cmog.org/artwork/4-sweetmeat-dishes" rel="nofollow">https://www.cmog.org/artwork/4-sweetmeat-dishes</a>. </p><p><br /></p><p>There's also an <i>"Antique Irish Glass Pedestal Stem Dry Sweetmeat c1785"</i> at <a href="https://scottishantiques.com/georgian-wine-glasses/pedestal-stem/cork-glass#.VgsL6c5Cm-4" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="https://scottishantiques.com/georgian-wine-glasses/pedestal-stem/cork-glass#.VgsL6c5Cm-4" rel="nofollow">https://scottishantiques.com/georgian-wine-glasses/pedestal-stem/cork-glass#.VgsL6c5Cm-4</a></p><p><br /></p><p>And there's a<i> "19th Century Cut Glass English Sweetmeat Dish"</i> on rubylane very similar to Miscstuff's: <a href="https://www.rubylane.com/item/741898-Gx2esweetmeatlow/19th-Century-Cut-Glass-English-Sweetmeat?gclid=CjwKCAjwjqT5BRAPEiwAJlBuBVhIf33IpGfIhbr2MbtJst7l8Sryy_rFMHleprpI-tHip1F6aCbfKhoC_18QAvD_BwE" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="https://www.rubylane.com/item/741898-Gx2esweetmeatlow/19th-Century-Cut-Glass-English-Sweetmeat?gclid=CjwKCAjwjqT5BRAPEiwAJlBuBVhIf33IpGfIhbr2MbtJst7l8Sryy_rFMHleprpI-tHip1F6aCbfKhoC_18QAvD_BwE" rel="nofollow">https://www.rubylane.com/item/741898-Gx2esweetmeatlow/19th-Century-Cut-Glass-English-Sweetmeat?gclid=CjwKCAjwjqT5BRAPEiwAJlBuBVhIf33IpGfIhbr2MbtJst7l8Sryy_rFMHleprpI-tHip1F6aCbfKhoC_18QAvD_BwE</a></p><p><br /></p><p>Last year on eBay there was a listing for a cut glass dish titled, <i>"Antique Early Anglo-Irish Decorated Cut Glass Sweetmeat Dish 1800-1820"</i> with castellated cuts around the top edge and an asking price of $265 (I don't know if it sold). I have a copy of one of the photos, but don't know if I'm allowed to post it).[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Joan, post: 2515031, member: 5398"]Back in May 2019 I posted a rectangular glass tray with cuts around the top edge similar to Miscstuff's fruit plates, but didn't get any responses to my questions (I'm not a glass collector, and only bought it because it was so unusual). So this is the first time I've seen a glass dish with similar cuts posted on this forum, and the first time I've seen the terms "wheel cut pieces" and "castellated cuts" so I appreciate learning something new. Anyway, last year I did more online research and it seems that type of castellated cut edge was done as early as the mid-1700s and into the 1800s, but as I mentioned, I'm not a glass expert, so I'm just providing some links to examples of sweetmeat dishes that I found online. The Corning Museum of Glass has a set of [I]"Sweetmeat Dishes circa 1760-1780"[/I] with what looks to me like a castellated cut edge: [URL]https://www.cmog.org/artwork/4-sweetmeat-dishes[/URL]. There's also an [I]"Antique Irish Glass Pedestal Stem Dry Sweetmeat c1785"[/I] at [URL]https://scottishantiques.com/georgian-wine-glasses/pedestal-stem/cork-glass#.VgsL6c5Cm-4[/URL] And there's a[I] "19th Century Cut Glass English Sweetmeat Dish"[/I] on rubylane very similar to Miscstuff's: [URL]https://www.rubylane.com/item/741898-Gx2esweetmeatlow/19th-Century-Cut-Glass-English-Sweetmeat?gclid=CjwKCAjwjqT5BRAPEiwAJlBuBVhIf33IpGfIhbr2MbtJst7l8Sryy_rFMHleprpI-tHip1F6aCbfKhoC_18QAvD_BwE[/URL] Last year on eBay there was a listing for a cut glass dish titled, [I]"Antique Early Anglo-Irish Decorated Cut Glass Sweetmeat Dish 1800-1820"[/I] with castellated cuts around the top edge and an asking price of $265 (I don't know if it sold). I have a copy of one of the photos, but don't know if I'm allowed to post it).[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Georgian(?) cut (ouch!) glass fruit plate
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...