Georgian gold ring, is it Georgian era ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wide, May 12, 2023.

1. Wide

Wide New Member

Hello all, i have this ring in my possession, i was about to throw it out thinking it was brass or coper as it was really a dull with no shine, no hallmarks. Anyway cut a long story short i ended up taking it to a jeweller, they tested the ring and it tested 18ct gold. jeweller mentioned it could be Georgian era as it is handmade piece and rough around the edges not like modern jewellery. Any info would be appreciated thank's

Attached Files:

kyratango, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Wide.
    Your ring isn't Georgian, but a very nice 20th century ethnic ring.
    It has the Turkish coat of arms, although the style of the filigree looks more Balkans. That combination leads me to believe it could have been made by/for the Turkish minority in Bulgaria.

I am very glad you didn't throw it out, it is a good ethnic ring.
    I don't want to be rude, but that is total nonsense. That jeweller has never seen a Georgian ring.
    Jewellery is still handmade, and 'rough around the edges' often means ethnic jewellery.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It turned out to be gold! Yay!
    As a side note, even if you think it is junk, please don't throw out jewelry.
    Give it away or donate if you have to. Even costume jewelry.

4. Wide

Wide New Member

kyratango and stracci like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a very strange saying .......:wacky::wacky::wacky:

nice ring though......and good sense to get it tested.....
    it'll pay for your hogs tune up !!

kyratango likes this.
  6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Oh, what a relief!!! Haha

kyratango likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Sorry,what's an 'opp shop' ?

8. komokwa

maybe it's another ...saying ?

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Charity thrift stores in Australia are called "Op Shops." I only know this because an Australian couple who joined the church my family attended in NY got the women of the church to start an "Op shop" in the 60s.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Great knowledge,i thought it was referencing 'opportunity' or strangely somehow 'op art'(?).

kyratango likes this.
  11. Wide

Wide New Member

I sent pics to Mark lawson, he said the ring is most likely 19th 18th century, I never thought the ring is 20th century made, the where it was made he din't mention does have that islamic look with the filigree openwork ...

12. komokwa

the ring is most likely 19th 18th century.............

so made between 1700 to 1899..........

:facepalm:...:hungover:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Wide

Wide New Member

I guess, still waiting on two more experts opinion in the field to get back to me, if they mention same dates then i will take there opinion as the correct one...

14. komokwa

I hope you better answers from them......;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wide, why don't you do some simple research of your own. Google 'Georgian ring', and google 'Ottoman Balkan style filigree'. See which style comes closest.
    That is two centuries with a wide range of period styles. He is clearly just guessing. I wouldn't have faith in someone who can't be more precise about the period/style. I hope you didn't have to pay him.
    Well, Mark Lawson is clearly not an expert on Turkish or Balkan style jewellery. If the others also say Georgian without an exact decade of Georgian (which is over a century, with different styles), or a ridiculously broad timeframe between 1700 and 1900, you'll know they aren't experts either.

It is an unusual ring, much more unusual than Georgian rings.
    You don't have to believe me, but you shouldn't be deceived by so-called experts either.
    If you don't trust me, ask on the Ethnic Jewels site, they are also on FB.
    I am a member on both the site and their FB pages, but I'll keep my mouth shut and let the others ID the ring.;)

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  16. Wide

Wide New Member

He never said it was Georgian, he mentioned most likely 18, 19th century, i do believe you that it could be islamic as it has the Fatimid style , filigree openwork. but as each opinion jeweller its older than 20th century.

17. komokwa

jeweller mentioned it could be Georgian era as it is handmade piece and rough around the edges not like modern jewellery.......

that's just vague.......

for shits & giggles , what if it was made in 1921......

that would make it..
    not modern
    an antique
    and made in the 20th Century....

18. Wide

Wide New Member

It doesn't really matter to me now, if it was made today or yesterday, its 18ct gold and it's a unique ring and fits me like a glove. With no hallmarks it will just be a gold ring but very cool looking gold ring....

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. komokwa

Well, that's cool !!!

just remember you're sporting the Turkish coat of arms......in case anyone asks why !!

Enjoy !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Wide

Wide New Member

Im not discriminate on who's coat of arms it is on there as long as its not nazi symbol. just because it has the sun moon crescent doesn't mean its Turkish. its in the style of Fatimid a dynasty of Arab origin, their ancestry to Muhammad's daughter Fatima, they are know for there filigree rings with moon and star ...

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted