Georgian gold ring, is it Georgian era ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wide, May 12, 2023.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh, sorry ...I thought it was Turkish......my mistake !!

Oh, & I never mentioned that you discriminated on any race or religion .....!

So, phoey on me for trying to be nice.......

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Wide

Wide New Member

It's all good brother.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

I'll do me.... you do you !:happy::happy:

4. Wide

Wide New Member

Wish it was, would be worth a fortune... Malcom x belongings are worth some phone numbers.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Georgian covers most of the 18th century and part of the 19th century.
    It is somewhat reminiscent of Fatimid period jewellery, although the construction itself (inner ring, against your finger) is very different. But you don't see that when you're wearing it, then it does look a bit like a Fatimid ring.
    The way the crescent and star are made is much more Ottoman/Turkish than Fatimid.
    Komo just explained that people could wonder.
    I live in a neighbourhood with many Turkish people, but also Kurdish people. Where I live, the ring would be a political statement, and it was probably made to be just that.
    So I agree, some people could ask you why you're wearing it. It is a beautiful ring, and also a beautiful symbol. The crescent moon and star are a symbol of astronomical orientation, necessary for religious duties.
    If you don't mind the occasional question, just enjoy wearing it.

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

I wouldn't wear it in front of any Kurdish folk...:jawdrop:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Wide

Wide New Member

Fatimid Islamic jewelry are master gold smiths, the intricate work with gold is amazing, Not to mention some of Islamic poetry ect.

Attached Files:

8. Wide

Wide New Member

Why?

9. komokwa

The Turks & Kurds have a long history of hate and mistrust !!!
    The Kurdish folks , such great fighters against Isis , were let down by the USA , and harassed by the Turks....to this day.
    A lot of bad blood there..........

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. komokwa

You understand that in our geo political world.....my explanation is simplistic

....the Kurdish folks still fight for a homeland.....but are surrounded by countries who want nothing to do with them.....and the Turks call them terrorists..

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They were wonderful goldsmiths, but your ring isn't Fatimid. The style is reminiscent of Fatimid jewellery, but not the same level of craftsmanship, and it was made ca 1000 years after the Fatimid Era. Just one example of the difference in the way it was made, compare the inside of your ring to the insides of Fatimid rings.
    Besides, the Fatimid Caliphate was Shiite, most Turks and Bulgarian Turks are Sunnite.

It is nice to reminisce about the Fatimid era, but it has no bearing on your ring. Fatimid filigree wasn't a one-off. It was simply a continuation of earlier filigree, and filigree is made to this day.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    stracci and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted