Featured Georgian paste button brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_0302.jpeg IMG_0303.jpeg IMG_0306.jpeg IMG_0305.jpeg IMG_0307.jpeg IMG_0308.jpeg This is just a show off:joyful:
    I bought this tiny beauty online (France) and it also arrived today.
    This is what really makes my heart beat: old as heck shiny bits.
    Also, again, bought for a steal makes everything so much more sweet.
    These are two georgian silver and paste cluster buttons that were remade into a brooch at some point in time.
    I have their matching bigger brother here so they came to the right home.
    They are ok as a brooch, but don't you think they would be absolutely amazing if they were earrings?
    Ah well, someday maybe, if I ever find a jeweler I trust enough with all these old shiny things.

KSW, komokwa, Chinoiserie and 6 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Ooohhh!:woot:
    They are beautiful, and sure would be glorious earrings!
    It would be risky to unsolder them from the brooch (if they are soldered??) :eek:

KSW, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dessert58

Kyratango, thank you very much for your reply. I would say: cut the brooch in pieces and just solder the earwire on top of it.
    'Just solder' ah well...always easy to be the one talking and not actually doing the stuff

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow, I rarely find jewelry this old. Spectacular!

Do you call this "Black Dot paste?"

Beautiful score, Dessert.

KSW, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  5. kyratango

I use UV curing resin to "solder" hooks or replacement C clasps on brooches it holds firmly!
    At my first attempt on a brooch, I put the C in wrong orientation:facepalm:... When I tried to remove it with forcing with my fingers it didn't move at all! Not willing to use pinches, in place it stays and works!:)

KSW, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  6. kyratango

The pastes on your green beauties are black dots!
    I found a piece which needed restoration, and one of the stones misplaced fell out... Indeed a foil, and a clear paste with a painted black dot at the point set on it!

7. Dessert58

Kyratango, the uv curing resin sounds interesting!
    I once wanted to mend some pant-legs and I sewed close the legs...:hilarious:

8. Dessert58

I m actually on a project replacing some missing senailles (diamond chips) on foil on some of my pieces. Lets just say its a learning curve :rolleyes:

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  9. kyratango

Whoahh, you found replacements? Or have an "organ donor":D and the foil? I read a comment on FB, the guy said he replaced dampened dead foils by chocolate wrapping (the very thin sheet!) He even lower the tint of colored ones for garnets or emeralds pastes or beryls:woot:
    The one which had fallen of my piece sank into the mount when I pressed it back, I had to break it to remove:facepalm: and replace by a Svarowski... I grinded the point and painted a black dot:D
    Pic before, it was the center stone I ruined
    Resized_Screenshot_20230630_165326_eBay_1996420378924339.jpg

After repair and marriage with a contemporary drop:
    Resized_image_1996465947932152.jpeg

10. Dessert58

Amazing job kyra!
    I have some donor pieces to take the senailles from.
    Never thought about chocolate paper but maybe thats an idea! With my name...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KSW and kyratango like this.
  11. Dessert58

IMG_1591.jpeg IMG_1593.jpeg IMG_0323.jpeg
    The flower brooch only missed one senaille, and for the rest its in absolutely perfect condition, so it was a good project to start with. First I applied the foil with some non invasive glue (if I make a horrible mistake I want everything to be able to be repaired) and then I put the senaille in.
    The cross misses the upper stone and the one far right. I already put the foil in place and am still collecting some courage/waiting the exact perfect senailles.
    In the last picture you can see the senaille thats now put in place in the flower brooch.
    Its not perfect but it was a good start.
    The really difficult thing will be when I have to replace TINY senailles in some of my jewelry...

12. kyratango

You are brave, and efficient! One of the difficult parts is the rubbed fit silver setting around the stones:D

KSW and Dessert58 like this.
  13. Dessert58

Kyratango, I know! They are supposed to be a perfect fit but I have seen many cases where they weren't. So I collected my courage and just went for it.

14. Dessert58

IMG_0327.jpeg IMG_0328.jpeg IMG_0329.jpeg
    This Flemish Heart has some badly fitted senailles. Maybe they were repaired at one point in time.
    Its still one of my all time favorites though

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    komokwa, KSW and kyratango like this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a solo earring to match!

KSW, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious: **snort**
    Not sure I’d have admitted to that but thanks for making me snigger :joyful:

17. Dessert58

Ksw...those sewed-close pant legs were around the same time I could literally not boil an egg.
    In those years I met my hubby...I m still trying to figure out what exactly made him stick with me :hilarious:
    He made me cook all dinners for a while after that and that taught me quick...just to say even the lost causes can learn:rolleyes:

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fished this out. I do wonder if it started as a Georgian button.

P1220995.JPG P1220998.JPG P1220999.JPG

KSW and RachelW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted