Featured Georgian pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Fionna, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Fionna

Fionna Member

I found this pendant when searching for the things I collect. It is said to be from mid 1800 as silver and glass (I assume paste). I looked at a lot of Georgian jewelry but I am not sure. I see bows but no butterflies and emerald and ruby but hardly any blues. Is it Georgian or fake? It is sold from France and it does resemble Iberian and Flanders pendants but still not sure.

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Some of the stones look right, some look later cut.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Fionna, could you please post details of the settings of the stones? The photos are on the small side, details will help.
    Here is one of the photos full size:

[​IMG]
    I can't see the rather heavy opulence of Iberian jewellery, but I can see Flemish influence in the filigree. Flemish filigree is more intricate though.
    The famous 'Vlaams Hart' or Flemish Heart pendants are sometimes called 'Papillon', butterfly, btw.
    This isn't the type of jewellery that was strictly worn with regional costumes, but it could be from French Flanders or from Normandy, which also has some Flemish influence. So possibly 'city jewellery' with some regional influence.

I will tag our French jewellery wiz @kyratango for you.:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  4. Any Jewelry

Agree.
    Replacements means it could be authentic, but I'd like to see how the settings fit around the 'stones'.

kyratango, LauraGarnet02 and KSW like this.
  5. Fionna

Fionna Member

Thank you for your help. It kept saying my pictures were to big. I'll try to upload them as big as possible.

LauraGarnet02, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

It is best to resize them to 640 x 445 pixels.

KSW likes this.
  7. Fionna

Fionna Member

8. Any Jewelry

Thank you. It looks good to me, period wise, but let's wait for the others.
    Mostly nice black dot paste, which is sought after. The fit of the settings is generally good, which is a good sign. Some settings don't fit properly, but that is due to replacing stones etc.

LauraGarnet02 and KSW like this.
  9. Fionna

Fionna Member

10. Any Jewelry

A closed back of the setting is one of the things to look for when buying 18th century jewellery.
    In some parts, like regional Normandy, it was still made in the 19th century.

11. Ownedbybear

I'd say good. Some stones have indeed been replaced, but not recently.

KSW, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. Fionna

Fionna Member

Thank you so much! I love the piece so hopefully it is (more or less) authentic.

13. Any Jewelry

Probably replaced in the 19th century.

KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Replaced stones may not be original, but they add to the history and charm of a piece.:) It is a lovely pendant, and it oozes charm.

KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  15. Fionna

Fionna Member

Do I understand it correctly, the piece is original but the stones are replaced? Some or all?
    And then the next question is, is it worth the $150?

KSW, LauraGarnet02 and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

A few have been replaced, but as aj says, probably 19th C. If you're collecting it and will wear it, it's worth it.

KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  17. Fionna

Fionna Member

Thank you so much for your help and info! I've learned a lot! Didn't mean to be rude (or stupid) but I am from The Netherlands and not fluent in English, so I just wanted to be sure I understood it correctly.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No problem; we're used to Dutch around here. :D:p Is the butterfly meant to come off or am I imagining things?

19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks for the tag! Just been able to log in...
    I see the piece second part of 19th century, not sure if French, the construction is more like costume with the rather thin soldered connection rings, even if it is silver. Older pieces were more sturdy.

20. Any Jewelry

:stop:We Dutch are often rude but never stupid.:smuggrin: Or so we'd like to think.:playful:

You mentioned a dollar price, is it for sale on the internet or in the Netherlands? If it is in te US, you'll have to pay import duty as well, and you'll probably end up paying more than it is worth.:(

Edit: I re-read your post and it is in France. Sorry about the confusion. You won't have to pay import duties, and the price is probably in Euros.
    :angelic:;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    KSW and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted