Featured Georgian Ruby help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by justjeff, Sep 16, 2018.

1. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

After much internal debate I've decided these two tumblers are from the Cambridge Georgian Ruby line. The tallest measures 5 1/4" and holds 12 oz which matches a particular piece in their line. The smaller (and trickier one) is 4" - 4 1/8" and holds about 8 oz.

Are there any easy ways to differentiate the different manufacturers of this line and if it is indeed Cambridge, how do I decide which of two potential tumblers the smaller is as there appear to be a 7 oz (4" high) and a 9 oz (4 1/8" high) but no 8 oz ?

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

HI Jeff,
    There is a way to tell the many makers apart using the number of cuts and the heights. I can not find my listings. They must have gone with some of other lost listings on my PC. I will look through my books later. I am sure it is on the web somewhere.
    greg

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

might check Mosser also, as they are currently making Georgians in 3 sizes

judy, Christmasjoy and justjeff like this.
  4. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Wow, I had no idea there was a modern manufacturer making this style of glass. Just downloaded their catalog. Thanks for the heads up though it makes ID'ing these glasses even more complicated. Hoping Greg can give me a few pointers.

judy, pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. TallCakes

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The 4 sided center row is the Cambridge design all the rest have 6 sided figures. Their molds went to Mosser who uses them regularly. Most Mosser will be marked with an M on the bottom. When looking at the nominal 9 oz size only Anchor Hocking has 10 pentagrams in the top row all the rest have 8. From here it gets complicated with where the mold line runs and do they stack. I have one that was made in Italy and has the Italy molded into the bottom. I have counted 17 different makers.

7. George Nesmith

I forgot to ad that Great American Glass book vol 1 0r2 has great information on those made by the "elegant" makers where the mold line runs around the design not through it. Also Barnett in "Paden City the color company" has a catalog reprint with with measurements Page 25 I think.

8. TallCakes

none of the Mosser glass that I have is marked...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Since I have center diamonds on these glasses, it looks like we're down to Cambridge, Mosser or Paden City. With the taller tumbler, the mold line runs with the pattern. The smaller 8 oz mold line just goes right through the middle. Could be the smaller is a Paden City and the larger Cambridge/Mosser which I'm assuming I will never be able to distinguish since they are likely using Cambridge's old molds? Thank you for the help/information btw. Really enjoying learning this stuff :)

Tanya, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

A 6-sided centre row - 20180917_181625.jpg

judy, pearlsnblume and justjeff like this.
  11. George Nesmith

I am referring only to the 9oz tumbler where mine are all marked.

judy likes this.
  12. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

judy likes this.
  13. George Nesmith

The Paden City was just a research reference. I do not think they made the tumbler with the 4 sided shape. The full line has 6 sides per their catalog.

justjeff likes this.
  14. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

OK. I misread the article Tallcakes posted above. The Paden City has one size apparently with the diamond in the middle. The rest are 6-sided I think?

I reached out to Mosser and they kindly replied to my questions.

"The plant manager just said that our Georgian tumbler moulds are from Cambridge Glass. Our glasses are not marked. Cambridge Glass might be a darker red than ours.

Hope this helps."

So there's realistically no way for me to say for certain if a piece from that line is Cambridge or Mosser.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    judy and TallCakes like this.
  15. TallCakes

justjeff likes this.
  16. George Nesmith

Color and markings are the only way to differentiate. I am suspicious of the Paden City catalog done from the engraved cut. Especially with the full line made and no reason for a 2nd mold for that tumbler unless the 2nd one is mold blown as indicated by the Domitz in their PC book.

17. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted