German? Bisque Nativity Figurines

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BarryL, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BarryL

BarryL New Member

I have a Christmas "lot" from an estate auction. Included is a nativity set (9 piece). It came in a plain brown box obviously the original by the way it fits. The box has no printing on it. The owner wrote on the bow 9 piece white Nativity Set. "Made by Goebel Co. pure porcelain set Germany 1959." The pieces are exquisite and not just another nativity set. The details are fantastic. The only marks on each piece is an R O in very stylistic cursive writing. I have not included pictures of the markings, file is too large? Trying to figure out how to fix that.
    Thanks

2. BarryL

BarryL New Member

[​IMG]

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The mark may be ROB for Janet Robson, the designer. Check "Goebel Nativity Set 1959" on eBay and see if anything rings a bell.

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

All my pics are too large to upload here so I use this free site.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/resize.php

I click resize on the left, then scroll below to Resize Images box,uplod a pic,I select 760 pixils then click RESIZE in a red box on the left. Then your pic will appear after several seconds, then Download will appear on top of your pic. Then you just upload the new sized pic here.

afantiques likes this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Ah yes, shrinkpictures..............

[​IMG]

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

:p:D:D:D:D.Why does he look SO familiar?????

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'm really skeptical since they have no mold number or ink stamp.

8. BarryL

BarryL New Member

you are skeptical of what? LOL All I'm trying to find out is who made them. What did I say to make you skeptical? I'm just presenting all of the facts that I have (which isn't much I know)

9. BarryL

BarryL New Member

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

You can re-size your pix using whatever photo manager/editing program your computer has and copy and paste in a reply to this thread. 800 pixels or so is good.

11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you wanted to know if they are Goebel.

12. BarryL

BarryL New Member

13. BarryL

BarryL New Member

thanks but I havn't been able to do that. Picasa doesn't have much in the way of help

14. BarryL

BarryL New Member

I hope this worked

Attached Files:

15. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

thanks but I havn't been able to do that. Picasa doesn't have much in the way of help

To resize in Picasa, have the picture open and bottom, just right of center it says 'export'. Use this to send the picture resized to another file location. The resizing is an option in the process. Select 'standard' as the image quality.
    With me this makes 4 MB files about 100-150 KB.

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Given a look at the bottom, I'd have to say not Goebel. Maybe an imitator, possibly Japanese.

Your best chance is to find another set online, or even just one of the figurines, more positively identified.

17. BarryL

BarryL New Member

I've already done an exhaustive search, there is nothing with any of the same figurines any where, ebay, pinterest replacements ltd. etc

18. BarryL

BarryL New Member

I don't think it could be Japanese with that kind of writing in English, I think it's a one of a kind possibly? Good quality too. I'm stumped.

19. BarryL

BarryL New Member

The easiest one to check is Mary. In this set she has one hand holding her cloak closed and the other hand up in the air. A lot of the figures have there hands up too especially the shepherd boy, see picture

Attached Files:

20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Sweet -- good modeling of the figures. But the impressed mark looks like RO to me. So unlikely to be Goebel. The base with the two large holes also is reminiscent of Japanese wares. It may have had a sticker on the base which has since come off or been removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted