German prayer book information and translation help

Discussion in 'Books' started by 916Bulldogs123, May 18, 2018.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    Hope i can get some information on this little book. it is 4" x 2 3/4" approx.
    If i'm reading the title page correctly it was printed in 1890.
    I'm looking for what it is?
    The printer?
    and any other information i might need on the pages i show.
    Thanks as always in advance.

Mikey
    atree 21523.jpg
    atree 21525.jpg
    atree 21528.jpg
    atree 21531.jpg
    atree 21533.jpg
    atree 21534.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Catholic prayer book, from the looks of it. Devotions to the Virgin Mary. (What Mary would have thought of that I'll omit.) They're still sold. This one is printed in Fraktur, that fancy German script no one can read any more, including Germans. It was printed by a company with offices in Austria and the US in addition to Winterberg. Winterberg is one of the alpine towns/cities, which makes sense.

Christmasjoy, silverthwait and judy like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks evelyb30. Looks like a reprint also. on the second page i see now Feb 1911.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That script can be confusing. I used to be able to read it well, because I always raided my grandparents' German literature collection when I stayed with them, but it has been years, so it is a bit rusty.

It is a 'Gebet- und Erbauungsbüchlein zur Verehrung der Allerseligsten Jungfrau Maria' - a prayer and edification booklet for the worship of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary.
    It was written by a priest, A. Leutner, and published by the 'Bischöfliches Konsistorium Budweis' - the Episcopal Consistory of Budweis.
    Budweis is in southern Bohemia (Czech Republic) and is now called by its Czech name Budějovice.
    The Episcopal Consistory of Budweis had it printed by 'Verlagsanstalt J. Steinbrener' - publishing institute J. Steinbrener. 1890 is the date it was first published.
    The publishing institute was awarded the title 'Verleger des Heil. (Heiligen) Apostolischen Stuhles' - Publisher of the Holy Apostolic See, in 1911.
    At the bottom of the page is the date 1914, which I assume is the date of this particular print.

The publishing institute/company, J. Steinbrener, was originally located in Winterberg, also in southern Bohemia, which is now called by its Czech name Vimperk.
    There were several Winterbergs in the Central Europe, but this is the Bohemian one.
    In the 19th century Steinbrener published books in 10 different languages, most of them Central European. They took part in the World Expo in Vienna in 1873, which led to more international connections, including an office in New York.
    The Steinbrener family had to flee Bohemia at the end of WW II. They settled in Austria, where they continued their company, which still exists.
    Here is a Wiki page on them in German:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Steinbrener

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you A J,
    As always I am thankful for your knowledge and willingness to help.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pleasure, Bulldogs, anytime.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Gegrüsset seist du Maria. catholic version of Hello Mary Lou.

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted