Featured German Steamer Trunk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ATStone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. ATStone

ATStone New Member

My grandfather sent his flying accessories back to the states after teaching the French to fly bi-planes during WW1. If anyone has any info on the piece please let me know.

Thanks
    A IMG_4670.jpg IMG_4673.jpg IMG_4674.jpg IMG_4675.jpg IMG_4671.jpg

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

It looks like you have all of the information any one can give you. What a wonderful family piece . The label verifies the information

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Bigger photos would be a help. Also, if you could type out the words on the trunk and the postal label. There appears to be words over words, both right side up and upside down, on the side with the big red Oben. I see "FOREIGN something BRANCH"...
    Re: the postal label... the FROM address appears to include "Wash Natl Airport" which, if Wikipedia is to be believed, didn't operate under that name (Washington National Airport) until 1941, and was re-named Ronald Reagan National Airport in 1998.
    The addresses are without zip codes, which were put into use in 1963. The addresses are also without the older postal district numbers, put into use for some cities (I don't know if that includes Dayton and/or Washington DC) in 1943.
    Of course, the trunk could have been used and reused.
    An interesting piece with sentimental value.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The red text on the lid is indeed in German, if that helps.
    Oben = Top
    Vorsicht! = Careful!
    Nicht stürzen! = Don't drop! (Or throw)

I need better pictures for the rest, which could have more relevant information than this. I'll see if I can tweak yours.

pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Enlarged and tweaked it a bit. I can now read the last word, which is Gerät, appliance. So it contained some kind of appliance that should be handled with care.

I wonder if the missing word could be 'Optisches', Optical?

IMG_4671.jpg

pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

And here is where I see ATTN: FOREIGN something BRANCH... upside down in comparison to the original writing on the trunk.
    EDIT: Of course, on the postal label it is FOR: "Attn. Foreign Dept. Branch".

trunkoben1 (3).jpg

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd call that a steamer trunk. It looks more like a shipping or packing case rather than something originally meant for personal belongs (like this World War I steamer trunk.) What do others think?

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to this, it looks like, when German-owned, it held glass at some point. (As above, larger photographs would be very helpful.)

Debora

IMG_4674.jpg

pearlsnblume, komokwa and bluumz like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Agree.
    I think the glass symbol and "Glas" was used because the case held some kind of delicate (optical?) appliance.

pearlsnblume, komokwa and bluumz like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The drawing to the left actually looks like a goblet. Why larger photographs would be helpful.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Yes, that's what I call the glass symbol, the one you find nowadays on packages containing fragile items.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah. So symbolic, not literal. Can you read the word next to "Glas?"

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

No I can't, we definitely need bigger pics, then I should be able to read it or make something out.

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Enlarged somewhat.....the end with all the writing is posted below BOTH right side up and UP SIDE DOWN as the writing is BOTH ways......(although most seemed to be right side up.........)

IMG_4674-gigapixel-lines-scale-2_50x.jpg

IMG_4675-gigapixel-art-scale-2_50x.jpg

IMG_4671-.jpg

IMG_4671--2_50x.jpg

pearlsnblume, bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Great job as always, Aqui, thank you.:)

If anyone can make out the two letters before "tisches Gerät", it would be very helpful, because that says what type of appliance was in the case.

I still can't read what comes after Glas, too much is missing. But below that, the last line is "Zerbrechlich" which means fragile (literally: breakable).

16. Aquitaine

Not sure if trying to clean it up a bit and enlarging helps, but:

LETTERING.jpg
    tried German translation which came close to "orthotic device" with just the last two words as 'Or?tisches Gerët'....NOT Positive..... I could be WAAAAY off!!!!

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I keep thinking it says Optisches Gerät, which means optical appliance, but I'm just not sure.

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Any, that's just what I found when I entered that phrase 'Or?tisches Gerët' into Google!! Knowing I know NO GERMAN, figured it or I'd be wrong!! Google did offer up something like "Orthotic Device". I did post an enlarged & clearer image of the phrase but UMMMMM....forgot to hit post, so here that is, along with what's on the END of the trunk, that has "GLAS" in the label.... although I'm not sure I'm much help on the labels....they're pretty bad!!!!:happy:

LETTERING.jpg

IMG_4674-2_50x.jpg

GLAS lettering-x.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

Well, I guess I DID hit post......I looked to be sure, but didn't find it....OIIIII!!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted