German Trinket Box

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 21, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

20A2E830-19D3-40ED-B227-B568A34647DF.jpeg 81D3DE9E-A04B-43F7-9028-6CBC88B758F8.jpeg CE4612E2-C0C2-43DC-92FA-8249DB16BE69.jpeg 82D2B67F-6174-4000-9308-C2855758B9B7.jpeg 8F0C5B5F-4191-4A03-86B0-018E6AE966DE.jpeg 6C5B1A5B-E02B-4AC4-8EDD-6D693B338D4F.jpeg Do you think it’s “German Silver” or solid 830 or so silver?

moreotherstuff and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Without other marks beyond Germany I wouldn't make an assumption either way. Has a bit of a Hanau look to the decor.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I don't know, Kard, but I'm thinking that with that wood lining, it's a cigarette box...

If it's really silver, it should have a (hard to find?) mark somewhere?

Aquitaine, Figtree3, popsycat and 2 others like this.
  4. kardinalisimo

I’ll clean it and see if something will pop up.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The wood lining looks to be red cedar.....makes me think cigar box, but I don't see a size.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Like the cupids teasing the frog? duck? with a cattail.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

10A7B698-E6A0-49F6-B07A-E0C7A995B1C8.jpeg EBBFB438-D0F8-4668-83D7-EE47C3AD94B8.jpeg C0AF91DA-4932-4690-9B02-99E15B4266B9.jpeg C5656ED0-13BB-4E16-8845-47C49B7CA633.jpeg Don’t know if that’s patina or what but does not come off easily.

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Ah, thanks. Definitely a frog.
    If it isn't spreading corrosion, & doesn't look to be, I say leave it. Not meant to look brand spanking new & brings out the design.

9. kardinalisimo

1F10A4A1-9F6B-44D7-A246-C36B575D3716.jpeg I sold the box to a buyer from Hungary. He wants to return now claiming it’s not silver but silver plated.
    I did not title nor described the box as solid silver but German Hanau silver. But I did not use the term “plated” either.
    Was that misleading?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ge...609632?hash=item1f0e94a860:g:964AAOSwEg9emM9F

The buyer also sent me a picture with the test result. Not sure how to read it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Bronwen

If he put acid directly on the box, you may have an issue to raise with him.

11. kardinalisimo

What does the test tell us? Do you need to use different solutions for different fineness of silver?

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wouldn't be able to help, but maybe somebody else here would, if you wanted to post the picture?

Also, my understanding is that the acid test is not used to distinguish between solid silver and silverplate. I think it's to distinguish between either of those and some other metal. But I'm not an expert on that at all.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@kardinalisimo, I don't know what all those swirls mean on the bottom, other that someone worked awfully hard to clean something off, IMHO:rolleyes::rolleyes:!! But, where the TOP left and right corners are darkened might show something with a magnifying glass....just not sure....left corner looks like initials JB.....I can't tell what's in the right.....worth a look though....it's inverted...which sometimes shows things up..... 82D2B67F-6174-4000-9308-EDITED.jpg

14. Bakersgma

You're right, Fig. Without a deep gouge into the material, the acid will only read the surface (which in plate is silver alloy.)

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

ALSO, KEEP that magnifier handy, as AT THE BOTTOM of the SCENE WITH THE CUPID TEASING the FROG.....there IS WRITING AND NUMERALS across the bottom....it's just VERY tiny......I can't read much of it and you have the item in hand...don't know IF or How Much of it would be Pertinent.... still worth a read!!!

10A7B698-E6A0-49F6-B07A-EDITED-2-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

When I’m looking at a listing and it says Silver, but doesn’t indicate Sterling or some other Fineness, I assume it is not Sterling.

It could be an indication of the color.

I generally don’t care much for the practice writing silver, when it isn’t Sterling, but different strokes..

17. Bakersgma

Pardon me, Aquitaine. The box is in the hands of the Hungarian buyer (who bought it in April.) Thousands of miles away from Kard, I'm afraid. ;)

18. Aquitaine

Sheesh.....Kard did write that....thanks Bakers.....I get wrapped up in editing and don't go back and re-read newer posts!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry!! Let the new owner figure that one out!

19. Bronwen

Hmm. Was just reading that a green acid test result indicates the presence of copper, but the whole photo looks blue-green to me, not silver-grey.

This should have tipped off buyer that box would not be sterling & could be as low as 750 silver. The info is out there, e.g., see https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau.html IV One last thing Since you yourself did not know fineness, or whether plated or not, & made no representations on this subject, caveat emptor.

i need help likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe it was a translation problem for the buyer.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted