gilt bronze vs bronze.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by sunday silence, Oct 13, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Just a general question: if you had two sculptures same artist, same mold, etc. But one is of gilt bronze and one is normal bronze how much more valuable if at all is the gilt bronze? I dont even know if there's a good answer to that maybe it just depends on how you like gilt.

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Gilding is a decorative finish. There's not enough gold for that to make a difference.

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. sunday silence

that was an interesting read. Would a collector as a rule pay a higher price for the same piece gilded? or is it simply a matter of personal taste?

5. sunday silence

I may have not written my post clearly. I meant the artistic value of the piece not the physical value of the bronze, gold, etc.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's up to the buyer.......

Roaring20s likes this.
  7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I agree with komokwa. It's personal taste and what looks best in the buyer's artistic terms.

In marketing terms, the same item being available in different finishes, makes for different price points.

If talking about a worn-off finish. Value for me uses an artist eye. This eye is accepting aspects that some might shy from. An object's short coming can be less desirable. Less of an investment. More of a bargain.

komokwa likes this.