Giltwood Federalist Eagle Mirror - Era?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Moseisleytrader, May 18, 2017.

1. Moseisleytrader

Moseisleytrader New Member

I need some help putting an approximate age to this mirror. It is all wood, but the backing behind the mirror is fiberboard, and I'm not sure when that came into use. The paper on the back is shredded, but what remains is very aged. I also noted that in the hundreds of this style for sale online, none have the eagle perched on ivy with two leaves per side, always three or more, so I am curious as to whether or not this means anything. Also, I did not come across any that had the simple black paint strip around the mirror. There are are no manufacturers marks or identifying symbols. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

I cannot be definitive (sorry), but that is definitely an old mirror, and an old framing job. My instinct is to say that it is at least 100. And could be older. Don't forget -- the backing, though old, may not be original. :)

Joshua Brown and Moseisleytrader like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    OMG do you have a cat head or one on your shoulder?
    greg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Now, see, I refrained from commenting on the cat. (She said, while patting herself on the back) The "stone wall syndrome" seems to be pervasive this week!

But, about the cat...?

5. Moseisleytrader

Moseisleytrader New Member

Hahaha, oh man, I did not even notice! That's a cat head painting by a local artist my gf bought at a charity auction.

Joshua Brown and gregsglass like this.
  6. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Just an educated guess but I'd say it's from the early to mid 20th century.
    :)

Ladybranch and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I agree with Joshua. 1940s-50s or so.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course, being the original stone waller, I immediately noticed Moseisley had a cat head. But my mother told me not to comment on people's looks:angelic:.
    Being open minded, I just thought this was our forum's latest cool cat:cool:.

By the way, is it Federal mirror day?

Joshua Brown and Ladybranch like this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, I didn't pay any attention to this query for I thought this was a duplicate posting of the other Federal mirror query posted in the "Antiques Discussion" section.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/federal-mirror.17628/#post-241406

I do think like others this mirror might date from the early 1900s to mid 1900s. Do wait for others to chime in.

--- Susan

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Most of these date post-war when the US went crazy for anything Colonial/Federal. Of course they were made continuously but given this appears to be painted, as opposed to gilt, would think it later.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have two of these, one older than the other, and yours is of the newer style - early 1900s.

In future, if you select FULL IMAGE your pictures will appear right in your post and not as tiny icons IMG_0190.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  12. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I have a couple of these. One wood other plastic/resin by Syroco. The Syroco has just one leaf on each side. Both are newer than yours. 70s for mine I think.

Joshua Brown likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted