Featured Gingerbread mold?

Discussion in 'Art' started by David78, Dec 21, 2021.

1. David78

David78 Active Member

Can anyone help with info on this?
    It is almost 4ft long so I’m not sure if it can be a mold being that big. I can tell it does have some good age to it DE062B19-6985-48D3-A383-583ACF207614.jpeg 12B032DB-A17F-430A-8FD5-FE2989DB0FEC.jpeg 72B3482A-86CD-4554-8607-E983A5EBCFE5.jpeg 038DE473-C66F-42E3-A959-1A0336A17E1E.jpeg

judy, Any Jewelry, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Perhaps a wall decor item?

judy, dude and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. David78

David78 Active Member

Ok so there are giant ones lol
    Thanks everyone

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Fantastic. "You can have ONE cookie before bedtime" :singing:

Born2it, kyratango, David78 and 6 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a rather basic Dutch speculaasmold. Speculaas is different from gingerbread, not as squidgy to feel or as gooey when you eat it. Gingerbread is called 'taaitaai' in Dutch.
    Speculaas is much more like a regular biscuit/cookie, flat, and crumbly when you eat it. It is made with Indonesian spices. Sometimes almonds are added.

The listing sis posted also mentions the name Springerle, which are different again. Springerle are from Germany and Switzerland. The decoration can be much more detailed than on gingerbread, because the dough is dried for 24 hours or so before baking, so the surface hardens and keeps its shape.

Speculaas:
    upload_2021-12-22_10-59-8.jpeg

Springerle:
    upload_2021-12-22_10-59-47.jpeg

Houseful, Lark, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

please forget such nonsense as Springerle being Swiss. they are called Änisbrötli.
    when you see something ending on -le then you know it's from Southern Germany ; when it's -li then it's Swiss. sadly due to a big immigration and some stupid books from Germans about Switzerland and its dialects - they know everything better anyway... -it comes to such utter BS even in German wikipedia.

9. Any Jewelry

Thank you for the addition, fid.

For complete disclosure I should add, there are also different words for taaitaai and speculaas in the different languages of the Netherlands (six recognised languages in total). But I decided to stick to the terms that were already mentioned in this thread, which are official Dutch Frankish, the largest language group of the Netherlands. And southern German, of course.

More disclosure: Dutch Frankish is really two languages, Brabant Frankish and Holland Frankish.:confused: They were mixed together with some Dutch Lower Saxon words to form the official Dutch Frankish language (which obviously is not completely Frankish).:wacky:

I think I will lie down now.:dead:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    BoudiccaJones likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

11. Any Jewelry

12. Any Jewelry

Speaking of languages, a UK company just sent me an email wishing me 'Frohe Weihnachten'.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Why do so many people think we speak German?:arghh: That is one place I won't be ordering from again.:stop:

What is wrong with 'Prettige Kerstdagen' anyway? Isn't that what everybody says?:hilarious:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Bakersgma and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted