Girl with basket toothpick American? English? Whose? glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by George Nesmith, Jun 20, 2014.

1. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

This frosted girl with basket toothpick is girlbasketTP1.jpg girlbasketTP3.jpg 4 1/2" long.

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Were it in opaque blue, I'd put it to Porteaux/Valerystah, but in crystal, who knows.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is that little flower in the second photo part of the design or is it part of a mark? Almost looks like there is something after it.

flower mark.jpg

4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Though when one thinks of Vallerysthal opaque colored glass comes first to mind they did make a wide range including crystal. The mold work certainly puts you in mind of their output. I would be looking in that direction before Gillander or American.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Are you sure it's a girl? It looks like a Pierrot figure. Clown collar, peaked hat drooping over to one side. Or even a French peasant.

6. George Nesmith

OK makes sense to look there. The "flower" is part of the surface design. One of the books has a lot of Vallerysthal catalog illustrations but now to remember which.

Bev Could be a "peasant boy or girl"

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wonder if it is a match holder instead of a toothpick?
    Basket would be the striker?

Little match girl?

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think the basket is a laundry basket. I tried searching laundress (in both English and French) and came up dry.

9. I agree with the P/V take a look at the man w/ basket figure, I've had that in blue/white and frosted.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I really think it's a male figure

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Shot from another angle might clarify?

I did find another of these online, but it was linked to a long past eBay auction and sent me to a page that had nothing to do with anything. The reason I mention it is because the photo showed the basket with stick matches in it. That doesn't mean the seller knew what he (or she) was talking about. It's likely one of those things you use as you see fit.

12. George Nesmith

There is no indication of a striking area for "farmers" aka strike anywhere matches. The design is more consistent with toothpick holder.

13. George Nesmith

I have been told this is often found with the Baccarat mark circa 1900 and called "Miner with Basket"

14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Portieux did make a somewhat similar toothpick holder called "The Resting Of The Hunter". Also saw another like yours listed as "Novelty Satin Girl With Basket Toothpick" and noted as EAPG in the description; tho' I'm not really getting the EAPG vibe. What kind of black light reaction do you get?

15. George Nesmith

I think we are looking at the same listing. Re UV light no reaction short or long wave.

16. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

most EAPG should give a faint yellow-green reaction; tho' to see it requires total darkness and turning the glass to see the reaction at the edges and refraction from some deep designs.

17. George Nesmith

Unfortunately I do not have a dark room available. However other than being frosted heavy figure like some Gillinder nothing about it says EAPG to me or anybody else other than that lister.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't see it being a male figure with the bare shoulders.

19. Sherloch

Sherloch New Member

Hi, I am curious to know if there was a identification on this piece. I found one at a thrift store but it is on a metal base with four ball feet.

20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe according to today's acceptances, it's a 'they' or 'them', BWDIK!

Draft saved Draft deleted