Featured Girl with Candle Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Aquitaine, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi all,
    I have a sweet little oil painting that I need your eyes and and expertise on to see if you can decipher the signature and date.....I for sure can't!!! Have been in possession of it for at least 55 years in my parents or my home......now permanently MY home!! It is 8 1/2" x 12 1/2" WITH the frame or 6" x 10" without the frame. Haven't found a best way to photo it to get the BEST light on the siggy or the writing on the back of the frame..... but have some of the lettering on the back......think they used old wood for the canvas frame......I believe it's at least 100 years old, but would also appreciate your input other than on the signature!!! Thank you all SO MUCH!!!! And I do not understand why they double posted the images???? The signature is down to the right of the painting almost in the dark.....towards the front of her apron......

Attached Files:

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Vermeerish in use of light. I wish we could see a bigger look at her, especially face. I'm probably not enlarging it correctly...

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice little painting. I see E. S. Foy 7? (187?) I could not find any match to this name.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Thank you both SO much! Yes, Gila, I thought Vermeerish too, but alas, that is not to be my luck! Perfectly fine since I love her anyway!!! VB, that's the name I saw too, but you did better on the date than I did! And I just finished searching for over an hour and have come up with ZIP!!!!! I do wish it were Someone I could find, even if not famous!!!!:smug::rolleyes::cool:

KingofThings likes this.
  6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

It's a young Baker's Cocoa girl.:)

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

ooooooooooooo IT IS!!!
    A fave of mine!
    Stated so in an interview. :)

8. KingofThings

I'd have taken people out to get that!

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Out, King... like to dinner?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Hmmmmmmm......................
    This depends on much..... ;)
    ~
    (Don't do it komo....) ;)

komokwa likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

E.S. Jayne?

KingofThings likes this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see E.S. Joy ? Shes beautiful .

KingofThings likes this.
  13. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

14. Aquitaine

Thanks anundverkaufen, have to wait til Friday when it's free to check out Bio!!!.... but I did see that name..........at least I see others are coming up with as little or next to nothing as I did. Pity........but not to worry.....I have soooooooooooooooo much other stuff to be checked out!!!:D:D:D:smuggrin::cool::smuggrin::cool::smuggrin:

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  15. Aquitaine

HEY...NOT A DATING SERVICE!!!:smug::smug::smug::smuggrin::cool::smuggrin::cool::p:smuggrin::rolleyes::smuggrin:

KingofThings likes this.
  16. KingofThings

HA!!!!!!

17. Aquitaine

In the thumbnails Gila, click on THE WORDS when they turn into a hyperlink.....that brings up a bigger picture....then click again on the picture.....if that's not big enough, let me know and I'll upload a close-up!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Had to look up what she looked like!!! Except for the hat and what she's holding!!! And the turn of the head!!! Neat!!:playful::pompous:

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

I love this painting!
    I tried to dicipher the writting and the best clue I have is that I think that maybe it is not J or F but small M for the date - may
    and above m there is what seems to be a writing, something like julia.
    So ES could be initials of author. Maybe if someone else has better photo enhancer

KingofThings likes this.
  20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Aha, thank you, Aqui!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted