Featured Glass Ball Pyramid Paperweight

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Jul 31, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm hoping to find information on this 4 ball pyramid paperweight. It is 3 1/4"H x 3 1/2" diameter. The last photo shows the top ball, looks like it wasn't smoothed out, the other balls have smooth bases.
    I posted on the Glass Message Board and was provided with links of 2 possible makers - Eduard Dressler and Harrach. There was a posting on Collectors Weekly (no longer there) that had a photo of 2 paperweights in clear glass, so far those are the only photos of paperweights I've seen. I've found inkwells and glasses, in clear, iridescent/soap bubble, blue, green and vaseline.
    I've also posted on Facebook and someone mentioned Westmoreland Glass Ball Candle holders but the bases and the way the balls are joined together are different so not by them.
    Any thoughts or information appreciated.
    thanks for looking DSC01990.jpg DSC01993.jpg DSC02007.jpg DSC02012.jpg

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

CX,

I would have said Harrach as well. I fairly certain Dressler was an English Department store who imported some Harrach Items, so they couldn't have made it.

The reason I am not going to outright say it is Harrach is the colour. I have only seen the Stacked Ball done in a clear (That Decor is called "Glatt Iris" or "Soap Bubble") that has been attributed to Harrach.

Here is my Harrach Inkwell

Harrach2.jpg

You mentioned you have seen paperweights, inkwells and glasses. There is also a vase as well.

The only way to be sure if the coloured examples were indeed Harrach would be to find other examples of Harrach utilizing the colours you mentioned. A Vase in Peach for example.

What glass message board did you post this to?

I'm afraid Harrach isn't my forte and hopefully this is of some help.

3. desperate_fun

CX,

I did some poking around this morning and saw the other colours you mentioned. The blue inkwell and the Vaseline piece are most definitely Harrach. So, if they had other colours, why not peach?

The person to ask would be Brian Severn. I'm pretty sure he is a member on the "Art Glass Collectors Group" on Facebook. He has done extensive research on Harrach and might have an answer for you.

I should have mentioned that I have seen a larger Paperweight in the Glatt Iris decor. It might have had 6 balls for the bottom. It was an Ebay auction a couple years back. The seller also had one of the smaller ones along with an ad from Dressler showing the 2 items. I'll check tonight when I get home to see if I snagged a copy of the ad for my records.

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you desperate! I love your inkwell:) The top ball on mine hasn't been smoothed out (last photo) - is yours the same?
    I posted on this glass board http://www.glassmessages.com and the Bohemian FB page but will try the Art Collector one later. On the glass message board there is a discussion on who made the inkwells, interesting to read.
    I couldn't find much info on Dressler, but I did find this on the Great Glass Co Uk site, so it looks like he made glass and also used other companies blanks. I hope you still have the ad, that would be interesting to see.
    I'll update this if I get a response from FB.
    I thought I found an inkwell with a different top but now I can't find it. I think it was on Worthpoint so will have to do a better search there. I was thinking that with a different top maybe another maker, but until I find it again it doesn't much matter.
    Thanks again!
    Dressler, Eduard
    Schreibendorf, Germany (1868 - early 20th C)
    Also Josefstal, Czechoslovakia. Manufacturer of pressed & hand-blown glassware, & refiner of blanks produced by the Josephinenhütte & other glassworks

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. desperate_fun

CX,

The Ad I saw was for a department store. (I think)That is why I thought Dressler was an importer. I hope I saved it. I could be totally wrong LOL

I have seen the inkwell with a different top (I have also seen 2 different sized inkwells)

I'll take a closer look at the top ball on mine and let you know.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. desperate_fun

CX,

That is an interesting shape. I took a look last night for the department store ad (or whatever it was LOL) and unfortunately I didnt save it. I forgot to look at the top ball but I'll check it out tonight.

Christmasjoy, judy and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I've managed to get hold of an iridescent ball paperweight to do a comparison with - mine is bigger by 1/4" both in height and diameter. The feet on the iridescent one seem to be finished roughly, not sure if that is an indication of anything though. Still not closer to identifying the maker of mine but going by the feet I'd say they aren't made by the same person. DSC02200.jpg DSC02201.jpg DSC02202.jpg

9. desperate_fun

CX,

Here is a quick pic of the base of my inkwell. I also checked the top ball and has not been ground down.

harrach.JPG

Christmasjoy, judy and cxgirl like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks desperate! your base looks nicely finished compared to the iridescent one I have - I would think different makers?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. desperate_fun

I wouldnt put much into how the base is finished. I think the ground them the best they could to make them sit better of course I could be totally off base with this assumption LOL

Christmasjoy, judy and George Nesmith like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@desperate_fun I think I'm starting a collection of the ball base pieces:), I picked up these 2 vases today. They have some iridescence on the base, not sure if they will have age to them or not.
    DSC05218.jpg DSC05235.jpg DSC05224.jpg

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it helps, I've never come across a department store here called Dressler.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  14. desperate_fun

@cxgirl

I saw these yesterday (You posted them to Facebook) They are pretty nice. I would look into Harrach for these as well. IIRC they did a bit of crackle glass.

I picked up a Ball Paperweight as well (It will good good with the inkwell)

@Ownedbybear

Thank you for that tidbit. I wonder if I have the name wrong.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks desperate and bear:)
    You have the name correct.

bear, here is the information on Dressler from the Great Glass Co UK website - his business was in Germany, I'm not sure if Dressler operated a store - to add to the confusion I came across a post on another site that had a part of a page from Silber & Fleming catalogue (mid 1870s) that showed something (not sure if it is a vase or inkwell) with a 4 ball base - so maybe that is the ad that has been mentioned in several posts
    Dressler, Eduard
    Schreibendorf, Germany (1868 - early 20th C)
    Also Josefstal, Czechoslovakia. Manufacturer of pressed & hand-blown glassware, & refiner of blanks produced by the Josephinenhütte & other glassworks

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. BishyBarnabees

BishyBarnabees New Member

So how much would the 4 clear ball pyramid paperweight be worth?

17. BishyBarnabees

BishyBarnabees New Member

I have the clear version of this. Any idea how much it's worth?

18. desperate_fun

I paid around $40.00 (USD) for my Inkwell, and a little less for the paperweight. I see them listed (inkwells) for $80.00 - $250.00

Draft saved Draft deleted