Featured Glass bead necklaces

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 9, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This is yesterday’s little haul from the charity shop. I’m trying to get my eye in with dating jewellery. No idea of date for dark multicoloured swirly ones - modern?
    Pale green- 50/60s?
    Brown crackle glass- modern?
    Any help with styles too as I’m sure ‘swirly ones’ isn’t the technical term! B61400B0-A09B-4F14-ADE4-CDE7950768EA.jpeg FDD3AE00-814E-4201-BB8D-C18AA40B1C20.jpeg E409B571-5774-470E-8DC9-E913745BDF31.jpeg 153AB209-5FF7-4278-871F-91137C5117B5.jpeg 652CF41E-CF8B-46D7-8497-B16F1E43E74B.jpeg

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1960s ish all by the look of them. The swirly ones are millefiore scramble glass. Green are striped milk glass. Brown might be 70s from the colour. Can you show the full length of them and the clasps please?

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There isn’t a clasp on the brown ones.
    Close ups of green and blue clasps in photos above. Thankyou:shame:
    D3485E54-0E13-4E62-8C4B-E8A4269F48BE.jpeg

4. Ownedbybear

Ta. I'll stick with what I said. Nice beads.

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Super helpful to see the entire pieces. Thanks!

I think the estimate of 1960s is good. Can't help with the white and green one, but as suggested, probably striped milk glass.

My favorite is the black one with the Millifiore beads. All of that glass, hand knotted. Nice piece.

Only other observation, as I used to collect glass bead necklaces (ha! typo... "used to"), always found that vintage ones that had metal loops (rather than string) for connectors had a bit of extra quality. Just more work in that construction. Looks like a nice long necklace. The one on the right, with the long thin brown glass beads.

Favorite is the black one, though. Nice group!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry, I pressed post too quickly.
    I'm glad you like them, at only £1 per necklace I couldn't get them out of the shop quickly enough!. I agree the black ones are my favourite too although I have a weakness for the crackle glass type and more so the 30s foil glass ones of which I have two lovely sets. I bought some for a christening present but loved them too much and had to go and buy another present as I couldn't bear to part with them- that's bad isn't it!:angelic:

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I'd have grabbed those and run very fast.

KSW, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful necklaces -- and what a bargain!

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the crackle glass beads are earlier than the others - 1950s.

I think the other two are newer. 1980s or later.
    I don't think the black ones would have been knotted with red thread originally. That is why I think possibly new Chinese.

The beads are not evenly sized and the colors just aren't right for 60s.
    But hey, that is only my opinion, and the others seem to be in agreement.

upload_2019-2-9_9-51-19.png

KSW likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I do agree on chain connected necklaces being nice quality. I have a "few".

KSW likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

With those little metal end caps, so prevalent in the 60s, my guess is that era, plus or minus. If you Ebay search "Millefiore glass bead hand knotted necklace", more than half have red thread. None here exactly the pattern of the OP's, but all vintage, hand knotted, w/millefiore beads.

Be sure to "view original item".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HA...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-32-034...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mi...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

i need help likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That first link is very similar. Sorry for my ignorance but by 'chain connected' do you mean the metal link between the clasp and the first bead?

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

;):D

15. Lucille.b

Probably wasn't clear. "Chain connected" is just a term I made up to describe-- just meant there is no string on that one necklace to the right. All the connections are metal, no string anywhere. It's a little more work, and used to notice that with slightly nicer glass bead necklaces over the years.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    i need help and KSW like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Chain connected is what I call them, too. Or chain strung.

Lucille.b and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, Lucille, I understand now- I thought you were referring to the one on the left with the red knots so I thought you must mean the clasp.
    The crackle beads are very striking close up - I'm very pleased with my little collection from today and more so now I know a bit more about them.Thankyou.

Draft saved Draft deleted