GLASS Beautiful blue plates...help with etch and maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Studio Antiques, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

We just unpacked two of these yummy blue plates. Each 8-1/2" diameter with ground bases.

Can anyone tell me the etch and perhaps the maker? They appear to have some good age to them. Thank you for your time and help!! :) IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG

quirkygirl likes this.
  2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that the design is gray/wheel cut, not etched. The frosted look is due to the cuts not being polished. There were lots of decorating companies that bought undecorated wares aka blanks, and then cut the designs. Most of the companies have never been documented, nor have the patterns they produced. In fact, because they patterns were cut, they generally were not protected by copyrights or design patents, so you will see the same or similar designs from different decorators.

And to add to the bad news, once decorated by someone other then the manufacturer of the glass, buyers generally don't care who made the glass, so if you are able to determine a manufacturer, it won't add much to the value of the pieces.

Studio Antiques likes this.
  3. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Have you looked VERY carefully around the edge of the ground base of both plates, in bright light, with a magnifier, holding the plates at various angles? Just because it looks awfully similar to this one here ... :)
    http://www.cardersteubenclub.org/shapes/item-view.cfm?RecordID=30398&image=1&back=1

your engraving looks gray cut and the one on the site looks like the cuts are polished, but might look like that due to the different backgrounds and lighting.

Looking around at that site I posted above, and found several other examples of this pattern on other color plates and they all looked gray cut - so it must have been the way the light was hitting the blue one that made it look polished.

I hope your plates do turn out to have the Steuben mark on them!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  4. Studio Antiques

I hadn't heard of gray cut so I really appreciate that feedback and will now study up on it. Not seeing the Steuben mark but am going to check again tomorrow in the daylight. THANK YOU to you both, #quirkygirl and #msgood2shoe

5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The shape certainly looks like Steuben. And I agree with Quirky - look very carefully for a signature, perhaps the fleur-de-lis mark, and it may be quite small. My first piece of Steuben was a pitcher in a box lot. I must have looked at it with a magnifier 10 times, finally put it in our storage building for our next yard sale. But I kept thinking about it, brought it back in the house, got out the magnifier, and looked again under very bright light. I was about to give up again when I saw the mark--quite faint and small.

cxgirl and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Studio Antiques

I''m doubly motivated now to look for a hidden Steuben mark. thank you all! :D

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted