Featured Glass console bowl - kind of Monart-ish but I don't think so?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Aug 15, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Any ideas on this? China? Thought it might be Monart at first but doesn't precisely fit any of the Monart shapes I don't think - and it lacks the proper pontil scar. About 10" in diameter. Has some pretty interesting color changing properties and iridescence in it.

43137538895_e4242fb982_kdev.jpg 43324953404_7bdb210672_kdev.jpg 42234495360_6229c2ca4d_kdev.jpg 42234497440_add0540dc5_kdev.jpg 44043509291_abac531d4e_kdev.jpg 29106705267_7eebdbfdb7_kdev.jpg 43995110932_2f23939c8f_kdev.jpg 44043507771_9ddb3fee41_kdev.jpg

janettekay, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id almost swear it looks like an ancient Roman glass bowl.I wonder if someone produced a line copying it.Gorgeous.

kyratango, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

OOHHH .. LOVE IT !!! .. Joy.

4. aaroncab

I didn't even think about Roman glass but it does have that look to it doesn't it. It really have some truly funky color changing properties to it...whoever made it.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's beautiful.

I have a vase, which had never been identified, with similar treatment. It's signed Berg.
    PaperweightArtGlassVaseJarCopperyGloss&MatteSwirledColorsBera-b.jpg

PaperweightArtGlassVaseJarCopperyGloss&MatteSwirledColorsBera-g.jpg

The bottom treatment is entirely different, but it's conceivable they're by the same person.
    PaperweightArtGlassVaseJarCopperyGloss&MatteSwirledColorsBera-f.jpg

I'd be happy for a name on the treatment.

kyratango, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

00F13172-0DC2-433C-8979-1F09673816BE.jpeg
    Aaron,
    I wouldn’t be me, if I didn’t ask about this. :)

Jivvy, Figtree3, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

Haha, so true! Can I ask which picture that came off of?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

Your 5 th down.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. aaroncab

It seems to be just how the light caught the coloring in the glass - there are several spots on the base that kind of look like script if you hit them just right in the light but they're not any kind of writing. You have a great eye!

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

My first thought was Berg glass also. I had a signed piece several years ago, similar in colour as yours Aaron. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can find my notes, but I don't think I found out much information on them.

Christmasjoy, moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's possible that my vase came from you. I got it from a boardie back in the eBay days.

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Geez, I'm not sure. ! I'm trying to find photos and information I had of the piece but so far no luck.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. aaroncab

I've looked around for Berg a bit online - finding an Elis Berg who designed for Kosta and Pukeberg(Sweden) but nothing that really fits this treatment/style.

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  14. aaroncab

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I had no luck finding photos or information that I had. I seem to remember they were fairly new though, maybe last 20 years or so.
    If you think it might be a Motzfeldt you should ask on the glass message board, someone there will know.
    I had a cheese dome with glass plate by him, sold for some good money.
    100_1862.jpg

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

8DD9EFC2-0A95-4ED6-BA99-4A3E73AC57DE.jpeg I’m a glass dummy, but I saw something called enamel reduction technique by Carl Goldberg, so if someone wants to take a look. It looked similar to me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Tanya, johnnycb09 and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted