Glass - crystal tray - maker? pattern name? age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I know I'm trying for a trifecta but I'd be happy knowing anything as that would put me ahead of where I am now ! 20180919_154552.jpg 20180919_154625.jpg 20180919_154635.jpg 20180919_154645.jpg 20180919_154714.jpg

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. Tom Mackay

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. TallCakes

don't think it's that company, but not certain who. "R" rarely gives info on makers; I'm thinking a modern importer of crystal giftware. The multiple listing of other available pieces in this pattern suggest to me this is recent imported lead crystal.

Tom Mackay and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Tom Mackay

I see. I am trying to distinguish between "maker" and "period".
    I found a pattern named "Eleanor" by J. Hoare but it is more complex.
    So this piece would be modern crystal?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. TallCakes

yes, this appears to be modern import by American Cut Crystal Corp. of NY

7. Tom Mackay

All I can find about American Cut Crystal Corp is a 2000 takeover announcement that says they were in business since 1937.
    Slim pickings for 63 years :(

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Tom, it looks like all the cuts are not fully polished. If this is so, it is an indication of European import. Has something to do with tariffs charged.
    Patd

9. Tom Mackay

Do you mean these 20180920_112811.jpg 20180920_112824.jpg shallower cuts?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That swirling flower on the bottom looks a lot like a couple of pieces I have from Croatia

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Exactly. They indicate to me that the piece was pressed glass, the gray cuts added so that it (the piece) could be imported into the US of A as "cut glass", with a lower tariff,. There are pressed glass concerns in the US lobbying against importation of pressed glass, and have instituted a tariff to raise the price of imported pressed glass, but there are no Glass Cutting shops here to lobby for Tariffs, so cut pressed glass can be imported and sold cheaper than just pressed glass.

Figtree3, Tom Mackay and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Tom Mackay

pardon me, I forgot to thank you Patd8643, TallCakes and Cherryhill!
    It appears the dictates of commerce make for some odd situations.

Draft saved Draft deleted