Featured Glass fishing floats

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cfh, Aug 26, 2023.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

My mom called me today, and said she was at a sale that had a couple of glass balls. Like the kind that usually have a net around them. She wanted to know if I wanted them. I told her I know nothing about fishing floats, except that mosts of them are reproductions. So I told her no thanks. She said the guys mother-in-law recently passed, and if he couldn’t get rid of the stuff by 1:00, then he would just toss it. She said she could probably get them for $1. Well hell, I told her to get them if that’s all they cost. I asked her to send me pictures when she got home.

When she sent me the photos she said that the glass seems thick.
    From what I have read, the thick glass and lots of bubbles are a good thing. However, the size is pretty rare. Also, they do not look too scratched up, which leads me to think newer 80’s reproduction. Anyone know anything about these fishing floats? As always thank you for any and all comments!!
    929295EF-A850-4DC9-B913-DD1BD486C0CD.jpeg 3F23D919-5312-4F0A-A26B-29AF4D34E5CB.jpeg 6C849FA5-27FF-4B56-8C59-228343063D06.jpeg 68446C9B-9226-4001-AC31-BBF21AB90AB7.jpeg E75AF00D-FBF8-49D7-9083-3251A2A8D22D.jpeg D431E1BE-E8C6-4758-8C56-2F2C3B1B2952.jpeg

DVG, johnnycb09, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if they wash up on Vancouver Island.....they're mostly from Japan....

that's all I got !:wideyed:

kentworld, cxgirl, cfh and 2 others like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

They're not too uncommon here in Oregon. They look vintage to me, and the size is larger so they're more valuable. Great scores for $1!!

4. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Nice, good to know! I don’t see much of anything that has to do with the ocean here in the Texas panhandle.

johnnycb09, cxgirl and Potteryplease like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

not reproductions:)
    I've got a bunch we got off the beaches up in the Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii and Cape Scott (Vancouver Island):)

kentworld, komokwa, Boland and 4 others like this.
  6. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Yay!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I have one, it is about the same size as your tennis ball @cfh
    Those look like about 12"? They sell for big $$$
    Mikey

cfh likes this.
  8. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Awesome! I have been trying to figure out what I might do with them.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

display em !!! they're neat !!!

or if you weave...

[​IMG]

10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice..Your mom made a great buy!

11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I purchased 15 at an estate sale from 3" -12" that were collected in Washington. Yours look good. right color. Hobby Lobby sells them but much thinner glass. The trade winds do flow from Japan. One time a ship sank carrying Nike shoes. We lived in Crescent City Ca and there were shoes all over the beach. Tough trying to find a match!

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted