Glass:Fostoria American Lid What did it go to?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tina, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Tina

Tina Member

Evening everyone! I could use a bit of help on this Fostoria American lid trying to match it up to what it went with. I belongs to one of my clients but she had no idea what it went to. After researching on ebay and replacements I think it may be the lid for the sugar bowl, but still unsure. Measures across the outer edge 4 inches, approx. 2 inches to the top of the handle.

Thank you in advance,
    Tina
    aka
    Dssrtlady

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

According to the Coe's, Fostoria only offered one covered sugar in the American Pattern. They list it as 5 1/4" which I think would be the height. The sugar was the one with handles so you might be able to find one on line without a lid and see what the measurements would be for that. It's so hard to determine when the measurement you need is the inside lid and the outer bowl of the sugar. Good luck!

Tina likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Tina likes this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the 1936 catalog Fostoria offered 2 covered sugars at the time; one with and one without handles. A profile of your cover might help, but it looks more like the one w/o handles.

wouldn't be surprised that other covered sugars may have been introduced in later years, as the Fostoria 'American' pattern was long lived with various pieces added over the years. "R" also shows a lidded footed candy that may be a candidate.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Tina likes this.
  5. Tina

Tina Member

Thank you you two. That was my dilemma. I want to list this for her since I consigned a few things for her. The actual inside lip is just a hair over 3 1/2 inches across. I didn't know if I needed to be somewhat generic in my listing. That's when I came over here to see if anyone could help me match it up.

6. Tina

Tina Member

I'm sorry I did not read that correctly. Here is a profile pic of the cover. Any other help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Tina

Attached Files:

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the profile looks more like the no-handles sugar in the catalog tho' the finial looks a bit different; "R" calls this a barrel sugar/candy. Definitely not the handled sugar lid. You can check the lids at "R". If listing for sale just provide good images and measurements.

Tina likes this.
  8. Tina

Tina Member

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted