Featured Glass Lemonade Pitcher with Engraving, Silver Rim

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, May 29, 2016.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful old pitcher but unfortunately has a heat check crack, so I guess I'll use it as a vase. Still, I'd love to know who made it.

It's 7 5/8" tall to the rim. The handle is engraved with circles. The flower and leaf design is also engraved and encircles the piece along with vertical lines.

The glass is optic, and the bottom has a slightly concave silver dollar size polished pontil. The glass glows a dusky yellow under UV light.

The bottom has a lot of shelf wear but I can make out the numbers 403 or 4031.

The hammered silver rim is marked with a sort of H followed by either 656 or 658.

Thanks for looking and for any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Beautiful pitcher - too bad about the crack. I'd be thinking "Sangria" at the summer picnic table!!

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

We're more "sweet tea on the back steps" people :). It's quite usable, actually. The crack is on the side of the handle, on the outside of the glass under the silver. I've used it a few times, just never known whodunnit.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'd look at Hawkes - I'm never right when I hunt for cut glass engravers, but where I would look first.

5. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Your pitcher takes my breath away, it is so lovely.

ascot likes this.
  6. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you! We don't do much formal entertaining any more, but I've loved using it. The crack doesn't appear to affect the stability, so I've used it for a water pitcher at the table or on the bar--really pretty with candle light around it.

Draft saved Draft deleted