Glass penny lick?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Not sure if this a penny lick or some kind of glass that went in a stand. Anyone got any ideas on age please? Thanks.

IMG20240420130618_copy_3000x4000.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I have no idea but I have to say that is a new term for me. Never heard of a penny lick.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s a toasting glass and I’ve totally forgotten the proper term for them. Basically you banged them down hard.

johnnycb09, *crs* and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Ah okay thanks. I've seen them with a thick bottom before but not with a lump. I'm guessing it should have a wooden frame to hold it up? I'll take a Google :happy:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Penny licks were used in days gone by to serve ice cream. You would lick the ice cream off then take it back. Then the next person would have theirs served on it. Yummy

johnnycb09 and *crs* like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's a glass stirrup cup, older ones often came in leather pouches. They have been around since Georgian times and have been reproduced ever since. In the 80's they came into fashion for bbq's and you would set the glasses in a bucket of sand.

There are also stories of them being used at coaching inns for short stops where the horses were being changed - so the drinker couldn't set the glass down and forget about it.

7. Chinoiserie

Thanks for the info. So could well be a 1980s repro then .

8. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Very interesting. You can teach an old dog new tricks :angelic:

Chinoiserie likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They could be any time in the 20th century. The Georgian / Victorian ones are much thinner in section and size, and are often cut.

Forgot to say before you - did also get ones like this that came with a metal stand with numerous hoops used for drinks or desserts, they were a thing when fondue was popular. I've seen then used as candle holders too.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Were you thinking of a firing glass?

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  11. Chinoiserie

Interesting info ta.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I was indeed thinking of a firing glass.

Good point on the later copies being used in metal holders.

Chinoiserie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted