Featured Glass sample vase - "Tiffany Blue" - Can anyone decipher label?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Jun 10, 2024.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I got this years ago, and have always meant to post it. It was from a box of salesman's samples. I still kick myself for not buying the entire thing. I guess I thought the one labeled "Tiffany Blue" would be the most desired? Dumb.

It is 5-3/8" high, 3" in diameter at the widest. Cased glass, polished bottom. I can make out from the label:

- Sample 12/21/79 (or maybe 78)
    - QA150/503...
    - Tiffany B
    - Vase

The label is blue and white, with the company name partially visible: American Co ... Inc. And a word below which looks like Nagava. I've tried searching over the years, but come up empty. Anyone have any ideas that might point me in the right direction? Thanks!

ImportedPhoto_1718072484769.jpg
    IMG_20240610_211906.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Tantalizing. :phantom:

... there is a Nagoya, Japan.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It does look Japanese to me.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Nagoya, Japan" would work with the centering of the text.

Debora

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Beautiful colour that. Could only imagine what els was in that box!

UncleChuckTX and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks, everyone!

You were spot-on. Nagoya was the last piece of the puzzle. I found a matching label on an item listed on eBay - "American Commercial Inc." They are now somehow affiliated with Mikasa, according to Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/3404847Z:US

"American Commercial Inc
    American Commercial Incorporated wholesales and supplies dinnerware. The Company provides serveware, drinkware, flatware, and home accents. American Commercial operates in the United States.
    SECTOR - Consumer Discretionary
    INDUSTRY - Consumer Discretionary Products
    SUB-INDUSTRY - Home & Office Products
    INCORPORATED - --
    ADDRESS - 1 Century Way Secaucus, NJ 07094 United States
    WEBSITE - www . mikasa . com"

s-21600.jpg

komokwa, Roaring20s and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The label is styled differently on this vase on eBay, but could be the same company... American Commercial Inc. / Nagoya, Japan. Dated in 1979. Maybe the different style label is because yours is a sample?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174795512187

Ooops, I was posting at same time as you, @UncleChuckTX !

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  8. UncleChuckTX

I appreciate your help searching, Figtree!

Apparently they would both have been sold as Mikasa items at retail. American Commercial Inc. is the parent company name.

"George Aratani founded Mikasa as 'American Commercial Inc.' in the state of California in 1948. Initially a dinnerware importer, Mikasa grew into a dinnerware wholesaler over the next twenty years, supplying dinnerware to Bloomingdales, Macy’s, May Department Stores Company and other fine retailers. In 1957, the brand name Mikasa was introduced to the American public."

https://www.mikasa.com/pages/about-mikasa

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted