Featured Glass thing, what is it? (I think I might get embarrased)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

It's 4.5 inches square and stands 1.5 inches tall (12cm x 3.8cm). It weighs approx. 1250g (2.75 lbs.). The glass is completely clear. The bottom is flat. The top slopes inward to the centre (USA "center";)) along 4 triangular surfaces. I think it's too boring to be a paperweight and the wrong shape for a hamburger press! My guess is an ashtray. Without rests.What else could it be? 20200121_121507.jpg 20200121_163102.jpg

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Any mysterious reflections in it? Could it be an ancient INCA pyramid artifact?!;):joyful:

Joke apart, thinking a desk tidy/vide poche:cyclops:

3. Tom Mackay

Hmmm...for the desk that has everything ! 20200121_121558.jpg
    Heh - no spooky in it, too bad ! Took some flash photos that look woo tho'...

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a new take off of OLD Philadelphia sidewalk lights. They were placed in cement on the sidewalks to help light the interiors of the basements. I have several stuffed away but they are all worn down and purpled. They were over 150 years old when I got them in the 1970s.
    greg

5. Tom Mackay

Wow ! That triggered a sudden, long forgotten memory of walking on such things ! Some links for those who never have -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavement_light
    https://scoutmagazine.ca/2018/04/30/hunting-vancouvers-forgotten-sidewalk-prisms/

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

similarly called deck prisms, and used to direct light below deck in old ships; often hexagonal...

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

8. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

pretty and cool...I don't remember them! I do remember the trolley cars in Philadelphia:woot: though.... and getting sick drinking the water there!

Christmasjoy and Tom Mackay like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i have the same one..
    dad used it as a catch all for small items that came across his desk...
    still have his desk too...

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I, too, immediately thought "desk accessory". Perhaps a paperweight that doubles as a paperclip holder?

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I remember stores in Manchester that had glass 'bricks' in the sidewalk to provide light. There was a basement shoe store that we went to - I'm sure they sold Buster Brown's - and I remember looking up through the glass 'lights'.

12. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I was also born and lived in Manchester, NH, you're bringing back memories. I also remember those stores, and my mother bought our shoes at that shoe store.

Christmasjoy, Tom Mackay and komokwa like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know what yours is but I'm staying at a hotel at the moment and couldn't help noticing the similarity of the soap dish to yours. Theirs is heavy plastic and there is a larger one for all the shampoo etc.

img20200123_065021.jpg

Christmasjoy, bluumz, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  14. Tom Mackay

Hmmm...so, it wasn't made yesterday. OK!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  15. Tom Mackay

I would JUMP if mine were to fall towards my foot ! Looks like a brick of plain glass may have many uses.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

oh, it's solid alright..... that's thick glass..!

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  17. komokwa

IMG_7319.JPG IMG_7321.JPG

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. Tom Mackay

I wonder if these were numerous - any idea when your dad got that?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. komokwa

best I can remember was the 80's.....I think I remember 1st seeing it in the early 90's though..
    Not something I played with as a kid...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Tom Mackay

Playing with Dad's stuff can get one in trouble...! I just showed mine to someone and they remembered a work colleague having the exact same one ! I guess fathers got them in lieu of ties, socks and desk sets at Christmas.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted