Featured Glassies-Can anyone help ID these glass vases?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sassafras, Oct 27, 2023.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I'm stuck. These vases are 15" tall. One of them has a hand etched "2238" on the bottom of the foot, but that's the only kind of marking I can find on them. On that same vase there is what I initially thought was a glass "marble" with holes in it that someone dropped in the vase. It's actually a solid ball of glass and what appears to be holes is actually where the sides of the ball touch the inside of the vase. When you look at it from the top, it's not round at all, but fitted to the inside of the vase. So...it's obviously been there since it was manufactured. Can't help but think that it was intentional or else it would have ended up in the recycle bin before it was decorated. The last image is looking down inside the vase. Any idea who made these?
    20231026_185209.jpg 20231026_185330.jpg 20231027_083908.jpg

judy, ascot, bercrystal and 9 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are so very unusual! I hope you can find out more about them. The designs look Bohemian to me, but you probably already know that. The "marble" part is not my cuppa, I have no idea how one would clean around it, but personally, I'd never put liquid into these anyway. Following to find out more about this lovely pair.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very pretty, @sassafras . Good to see you posting! I think it's been a while.

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Beautiful! If you don't get an answer here, try the Facebook Bohemian Glass Collectors page. They're very knowledgeable there.

antidiem and sassafras like this.
  5. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Thanks, @antidiem ! I'd never put anything in them either, but someone did. There's crud underneath the marble that I don't think I can get out.

Hugs to you, @figtree ! So good to see you, my friend. Our home has been a chaotic whirlwind (in a good way) the last few months. Our businesses are shifting more online for the winter and we are officially empty nesters *sniff*. On the bright side, I should be able to play on the boards again very soon. :)

Thank you for the info, @ascot ! Sounds like it will be a great group to join.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    antidiem, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted