Featured Glassies: Canary yellow candy dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Feb 9, 2023.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Looking for a little help Iding the beautiful canary yellow candy dish if you please. About 6 3/8" to top of finial x 7" diameter. Thrift store had a tag on it saying Indiana Glass but wasn't able to verify that on my one. Thank you [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you call that vaseline?

Lucille.b, *crs* and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  4. *crs*

Yes, Canary yellow is the same color as the old Vaseline and glows under a black light. There is huge lot of collectors of the "glowy" glass

5. *crs*

Lucille.b and TallCakes like this.
  6. *crs*

@TallCakes
    Don, I was just told in the EAPG FB group:
    A heads up...... the Clio butter was reproduced by Mosser in 1976 in all the original colors including canary. The reproductions are "heavier than the old ones" and the colors of the new ones are "deep, harsh, and artificial looking". The new ones are "unmarked".

This one weighs 1.12# Not that heavy I would think? Also, would the Mosser in this pattern glow? Mine is not marked in any way

7. TallCakes

I thought the image on EAPGS of this color didn't look right for canary and had more of a green hew which might be expected in a newer Mosser piece (EAPGS does sometime include reproduction pieces on their line-up). Your photos here look more yellow but it's hard to say from photos alone. Maybe you can find online pieces to compare...
    I did look thru some of my old Mosser catalogs but didn't spot this pattern...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    *crs* likes this.
  8. *crs*

This one doesn't appear to be deep, harsh, and artificial looking to me. I'll see if I can find a Mosser one to compare. Thank you

9. *crs*

Here it is with a white background 20230207_103703.jpg

TallCakes likes this.
  10. *crs*

Google image search didn't pull up this pattern by Mosser and the "R" site doesn't have much of a Mosser selection

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

When I first opened this thread, my first thought was "What a nice reproduction." Old pattern glass in canary yellow is usually lighter than this color and isn't as shiny. Also, if the piece is perfect, consider it might be a reproduction. It's a butter dish and would have sat on a table with the lid going on and off for years. If this dish is too perfect, it might not be original. That's just my gut feeling. But to its credit, my book says that the repro is executed well enough to cause considerable confusion among collectors. They also say that the butter dish is readily available. My vote is repro, sorry. But I don't happen to think that's bad, it just is what it is.

Reference: Identifying Pattern Glass Reproductions by Jenks, Luna, and Reilly.

*crs* likes this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Can you clarify? Your photo looks exactly like the one on the EAPGS site. Did you provide this set of photos to them?

*crs* likes this.
  13. *crs*

Carol Mercurio Williams added them to the database. At least she said she was pending verification :)

14. *crs*

I see a big difference in the color of mine vs this one that is in the database
    [​IMG]

15. TallCakes

problem is we don't know the lighting conditions; tho' it may seem that a photo renders an item to appear as a reproduction one cannot definitively judge on a single photo image. I have photographed known old canary cake stands that also render the green hue which one might confuse with newer glass. One would need to see both reproduction and original pieces side by side to tell the difference or know the newer pieces were made in a different color.

[​IMG]

*crs* likes this.
  16. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

is there any wear signs on the bottom rim of the base? while thankfully a lot of glass from the eapg era survives without damage it would be rare for them to escape telltale signs of wear...

17. *crs*

Yes, there is signs of minor wear.

Draft saved Draft deleted