Featured Glassies: Cranberry Swirl Tumblers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Dec 19, 2022.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I need a little help with an ID if you can. I checked the EAPG database motifs swirl and didn't see these. Then checked shapes: tumblers and the closet I could find was Jefferson No.181 aka Opal Swirl but unfortunately mine do not have any opalescence. These are the same size as the green ones in the database at 3 3/4". The swirl pattern can be felt on the inside and the outside. Thank you. SwirlTumbler.jpg SwirlTumbler2.jpg SwirlTumbler3.jpg SwirlTumblerA.jpg

Figtree3, stracci, Rclinftl and 8 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Lovely tumblers...thanks!

judy and *crs* like this.
  4. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

the key is that the bottom is also swirl - I don't think that is Hobbs Northwood or Dugan - I think it is probably Mt Washington although I can't say with certainty -ummm correct - I am no help :O)

5. *crs*

From the picture in the EAPG database it appears that the Jefferson tumbler has the bottom swirls also. I'm comparing the bottom edge of that tumbler and mine
    JeffersonSwirl.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not good with glass patterns, but just wanted to say that these are lovely!

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I agree they are lovely. I tried to find a match but couldn't.
    The closest I found was Hobbs but I don't think that is it.
    Hopefully smarter folks will id it.

judy and *crs* like this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

There is one like this shown in Tom's book Glass Tumblers 1860s to 1920s, page 173. There is no manufacturer listed. The AKA name is Fine Rib Swirl and the color is Rubina. The measurements are given: Top 2 3/4", Bottom 2 5/16", Height 3 11/16" (which I would have stated as 3 3/4 but Tom is precise). The top is finished, bottom is unfinished with pattern in center.

Maybe Tom will look in to confirm.

9. *crs*

Thank you Pam

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

No manufacturer listed. for good reason...the process to make this is easy to duplicate, many companies probably made them. I had no hard facts as to any companies that did make them, yes, Jefferson probably did, but so many others could have, too.
    You'll note that the swirls in the green ones above start at the bottom at one angle and finish at another. The pink ones have the same angle all the way up. Details....

Figtree3, bercrystal, *crs* and 3 others like this.
  11. *crs*

Thank you Tom

Draft saved Draft deleted