Glassies,is this anything special?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Jun 8, 2018.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. picked up this 3inx3in deep red glass turtle,no signature or marks,and so far I havent found one like it. I think its a snapping turtle? Any input is always appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cxgirl and aaroncab like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Doesn't look 'snapping' to me.....back end of shell would look pretty "jagged"...head would look pretty large.....yours looks to be pretty uniform in size and nice looking!! Snapping turtles that I've seen are UG-LEEE!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin:

aaroncab likes this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

IMHO (In my humble opinion) this was made at Rodefer's in Bellaire, Ohio from a discarded auto light reflector mold. The head is where the bulb would have been, the legs and tail and ridges in the back were worked by hand into the mold. I've got a couple of these in opal and crystal. Looks like this is opal encased in amber. Neat.

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I'll be darned, the things we learn here!!

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thats very interesting! Its actually a deep red,but its hard to capture,Ill have to wait till theres sunlight and take a pic.Off to research Rodefer! How old might it be?

judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Rodefer was still making glass when Imperial closed in 1984, they started about 1900, plus or minus 20. Their product was industrial glass, or special order, they made no table wares.

Draft saved Draft deleted