Glassies,what are these ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Jan 29, 2015.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all,I picked these gorgeous things up today and she thought they were dessert bowls,possibly Italian. I thought they were ashtrays (but theres no groove in the handle ),then maybe some weirdly shaped cups ? Glass,4 1/2 across,1 1/2 wide,Ive looked under splatter glass etc,but cant seem to hit the right search term. Any help is as always appreciated. DSCN3056.JPG DSCN3059.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think they're Czech glass. I remember sets like these from the '50s and '60s. Search aventurine as well as slag.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I sometimes see things made with this black base glass and always figured them to be Italian/Murano. The ashtrays do have a groove so don't really know what these would be.

Ashtrays found on the internet ......

[​IMG]

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Soup bowls? Interesting set.

6. johnnycb09

Great info Brad ! Thank you ! I think you hit the nail on the head,now if I can just figure out what they are ? I see a ton of this in black/gold/copper,but not a lot in red. Ive passed these a 100 times,but today I REALLY looked at them,and fell in love ! Thanks for the replies everyone,I'll let you know if I find out what they are.

7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I'm guessing nut bowls, or sweetmeats. (I HATE that term)

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a lovely vase with that same metalic gold ....it's not new....but came right out of china..!

photo's will follow.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm with you if they hold about 8 ounces with out spilling over.

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

They look small next to the lighter so I'll guess nut bowls. :)

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not a glassie , & sorry for the hurried pics, but I thought you'd like to see this.
    The green is much more vibrant, but the gold looks very similar.
    So , is this a copy of something it's trying to be??
    IMG_9456.jpg
    IMG_9458.jpg
    IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

I've had it for about 15 years.
    If I'm correct that label is much older..

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The label is 1950s at the latest. It tends to be forgotten that some lovely glass was and is made in China.

13. johnnycb09

THanks for all the comments everyone ! I love that vase Komokwa ! I really do think they are Italian,they so closely match Brads examples,and as the seller said they were 'dessert" bowls,i think its safe to assume thay are bowls of SOME sort ! I still haven't found any examples online,and Ive looked at zillions of pics.

Draft saved Draft deleted