Gloss over a Ludwigsburg mark on a figural group

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

This might be interesting. Normally I'd be suspicious but this figure is ovf incredible quality. It doesn't particularly look like a reproduction and the mark looks real too.

But what is this gloss highlight that is over the mark? Do some collectors protect their marks using this? Does it make them clearer. Or is it just a fake?

IMG_20190923_212408.jpg IMG_20190923_212349.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think a Ludwigsburg mark would be under glaze. Is that a glazed patch in the center of a bisque patch? I'm not quite certain what I'm seeing.

sabre123 likes this.
  3. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Yes actually it does look like that! A glazed mark and the rest look bisque or biscuit looking!

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can you find other Ludwigsburg marks that have the same treatment? It's almost as if the mark is being treated as a seal.

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The quality looks good, but the subject and modelling looks a bit later than old Ludwigsburg to me, a bit bit more sentimental than I would expect.

I read this on wikipedia just now - maybe something to go on?

Draft saved Draft deleted