Featured Going nuts...30' 40's usa pottery mexican theme dishes-not h. laughlin

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cartoongirl, Nov 19, 2016.

1. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

Hi! How are you all doing? fine I hope.

trying to list these dishes...i found them googling yesterday and now i can't find them.

not homer laughlin...any help greatly appreciated!

IMG_5237.JPG IMG_5243.JPG IMG_5246.JPG

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The design inside the cups in your 1st pic looks the same as the design inside the cups called Laughlin "Hacienda" pattern on the following page.
    2nd pic down
    http://blog.retroplanet.com/mexican-theme-collecting/

According to replacements.com, there seems to have been at least 4 different "Hacienda" patterns with differences in colors, shapes, borders, etc..

--- Susan

IMG_2645.JPG

Edit: The following page may have help.
    http://www.vintageamericanpottery.c...ge_Fiesta_Kitchen_Kraft_Pottery_For_Sale.html

Seems the same variety of Mexican decals were used on Laughlin's "Conchita," "Hacienda" and "Mexicana" patterns and each of these patterns had multiple variations.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Those are very nice cartoongirl:) I found one photo on pinterest but it goes to a dead link so that is no help - I'll keep looking. Most come up as HL, hope the one you are looking for shows up.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/452822937511145190/

27478bc59e84e014221104d8b7b89b9d.jpg

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

5. Ladybranch

Gee, I now know why you were "going nuts" looking for this pattern. There must be a zillion makers that made similar Mexican decal ware. I believe I have nowwww found it, Mount Clemens pattern MTC128 on replacements.com. It has the identical cup inside and out as well as the same border on the plate with a similar Mexican man on a plate.
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/mtcmtc128.htm

--- Susan

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yea, you rock ladybranch:):)
    , lol, I thought this would be an easy one! So glad it has been found

7. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Here's another one to add to the confusion :confused: $49 bucks is pretty decent for one 9" plate.
    [​IMG]
    SALE Vintage 1930's Mexican Mexico Theme Mexicali Jarro Sombrero Decal Ivory Dinner Plate Red Trim
    Listed on May 28, 2016 SOLD $49 USD + Shipping
    ....This vintage plate dates to the 1930's and was most likely made by Knowles, Taylor and Knowles, it has no markings....

And another theory here:
    2 SAUCERS 3 PLATES HOMER LAUGHLIN MAX-I-CANA SLEEPING MEXICAN PATTERN RARE
    ...Several Mexican/Southwest patterns were introduced by Homer Laughlin, starting in 1938, with names like MEXICANA, HACIENDA, CONCHITA, ARIZONA and MAX-I-CANA. The Max-i-cana pattern was coined by collectors and is considered to be quite rare....

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

9. cartoongirl

winner winner chicken dinner!

i had seen the pattern and id somewhere and thought i saved it.
    i believe it was on replacements, too.

Mount Clemens pattern MTC128...thank you!

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, they seem to be listed by many different makers which makes searching for these crazy. I couldn't find any for HL with that border design but maybe I missed them

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, I love that line:)

12. Ladybranch

You're welcome. There were at least a couple of others wearing out their searching skills on this one. Never mind the chicken dinner, come on over or down and do our turkey with all the "fixings" on turkey day! :hilarious: ;)

--- Susan

13. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten Ohio River Pottery had changed their web site name. Still a good resource and write up there. They have the pic of the Alara plate with Mexican decal down under the Stetson Air Flow section. Hmmm...

Mt. Clemens Pottery
    ALARA (shape)

Made by the Mount Clemens Pottery Company of Mt. Clemens, Michigan
    Round flatware, conical holloware; "wings" decoration along rims; angular handles
    Blanks were sold to and decorated by the Stetson China Company
    Solid colors are hard to find and include the following shades:
    Burgundy
    Blue
    Green
    Yellow
    Produced primairly in the late 1930s
    Assortment consists of approx. 15 items
    Solid colored Alara is unmarked
    http://www.laurelhollowpark.net/orp/mtclemenspottery.html

14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow, great research everyone. :)

Cartoon girl, those look unused! Amazing colors.

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and cartoongirl like this.
  15. cartoongirl

Thanks to everyone on all the help and research! Just...wow...you all are awesome!

Lucille...they really are yellow...not cream, which is nice.
    there is a little wear to some of the decals, but not bad at all.
    After i took the pics i discovered a chip on a cup and a snack plate...dang it.

Going to list as a fixed price lot on ebay and etsy...now sure what i'm going ask for them yet.

Yesterday I also found an Arabia Finland dish set for 4 in the Lea pattern and an Iittala pottery platter in the Klaus Haapaniemi Taika White pattern...it has an owl.
    I love church Christmas fairs!

cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I love those kind of fairs, too. We had one a few years ago at a church, almost didn't go because it was advertised as a "Holiday Craft Fair". There were no competing dealers or anything. Was walking past the crafts, I turn a corner and here is a large basket filled with vintage costume jewelry someone donated to sell. Good kind of surprise. As memory serves there was a David Andersen enamel set, and other nice finds.

cxgirl and cartoongirl like this.
  17. cartoongirl

oooh...i just looked up david andersen...nice!

Lucille.b likes this.
  18. Dodi Wenners

Dodi Wenners New Member

Are you collecting? I have a nice sized set will to part with.
    If still an interest of yours. I am downsizing and would like to sell to someone who truly appreciates them.

Draft saved Draft deleted