Featured Gold and glass ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by c.free, Jul 15, 2020.

1. c.free

c.free Active Member

F5378F1B-831E-4630-ADC3-FAFF2CC5DD72.jpeg 757C0A1A-C34B-4785-8FA7-0C8EBBCDF46E.jpeg 0C9019BF-9411-45C3-B553-F57393BCDF90.jpeg What do y’all think about this ring? It acid tests as 14k. It is yellow gold, the flower on the side is white. I can’t find any markings, but the ring is pretty worn. I am thinking it might be Edwardian. Does that seem right? Where do you guys think it was made? 83F4E637-1692-4802-AD66-6D0874DBB6FD.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes.

kyratango, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

My grandmother's engagement ring looked similar to this. Are you sure it is glass? Needs to be cleaned; might look very different after. The shape of the stone is mine cut.

4. c.free

c.free Active Member

Yes, it’s glass. The local jeweler told me so. It did not make sense to me to have glass in a gold ring.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

I've seen, I own, gold rings with glass stones, but 10K & much simpler settings. Wonder if a diamond was lost & they couldn't afford to replace with another?

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Did the jeweller use a tester?

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Did jeweller offer to buy it?

kyratango and KSW like this.
  8. c.free

c.free Active Member

I don’t know. But I assume so. He took it to the back room, then came back and told me it was glass. He was helping a paying customer so I did not want to bother him too much.

kyratango, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  9. c.free

c.free Active Member

No he did not offer to buy it. He said it was old and might be worth more with the glass, than if I put a new stone in it.

10. c.free

c.free Active Member

I thought maybe someone had replaced it too. I bought it at an estate sale out in the country a couple of years ago when I started estate saleing. I had no clue what it was. I just thought it was pretty. The family had not a clue either(they pretty much gave it to me at 50 cents). I feel bad now that I know it is something special.I tried to do a bit of research recently and got some gold testing acid to try to figure out if it was real. It holds up very well with the 14k but slowly dissolves in the 18k acid.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Die stamped ring,"bright cut" setting that looks like it was done with a rusty screwdriver.The ring could have been made in the U.S. or most European countries.

c.free and Bronwen like this.
  12. c.free

c.free Active Member

Thanks, I will have to look that up.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

In the future never let a jeweler examine your stones out of your sight. The majority are honest but there are some that will swap out your real stone with a fake . A friend of mine had this happen to her,and she said he only had the ring back there a few minutes. Since then Im leery .By the by she sued him and got the value of her stone back.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This may have been glass to start with, and it could be really good gold-fill. This ring was made in the early to mid-1920s, and they did all sorts of crazy (to us) things back then. The ground zero for those pierced work pieces was Rhode Island/ North Attleboro Massachusetts. It came in both costume and real metal; I collect the costume stuff (can't afford the gold unless I get it by accident.) The Victorians used to make gold-fill that could fool an acid test.

15. c.free

c.free Active Member

Ok, wow. That’s crazy horrible. Glad she at least got compensation for it.

16. c.free

c.free Active Member

Good to know, Thanks. I can’t afford anything real either . But I still like the uniqueness of the vintage and antique stuff I find. Fortunately estate sale jewelry is quite inexpensive where I live.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted