Featured Gold + Coral ring/Help with Marks

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Feb 10, 2020.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Greetings!

Id appreciate some help with identifying what I’ve collected. I recently bought this ring and haven’t had luck with identifying the marks on it. One is stamped into the bottom of the band: 92AD88DD-214C-4356-A210-9CBAFC707198.jpeg This is what it looks like under magnification.

There is no purity marks anywhere on it. The only other mark is this one: D0F0D4AD-7D3A-476E-B448-A3EE9E579AF7.jpeg It’s “746” and it’s located on both of the larger undersides.

Here is the rest of the ring: 65DB4DCE-F43D-4819-863C-065A084F95A0.jpeg 21F03F13-4069-4A04-85AD-586E0BCDC893.jpeg 470FB93C-C7DE-4B66-8418-E2EF9E1556D2.jpeg It was listed as a coral rose and 10K gold ring from the mid 19th century. It did test positive on an acid test. Any background y’all can give in your collective experience would be appreciated.

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

very pretty, following ..

KSW, Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

So pretty! Sorry, I can't help with the maker...
    Perhaps T and M are for trademark?

4. BMRT

Maybe? I’m going to keep digging...

Christmasjoy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting manufacture......:happy:

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It reminds me of peas in a pod.

7. antidiem

I don't know. As much as I like it, and I think it could be old, it just looks like 3 beads stuck into the setting. Does it look like the holes in the centers of the beads goes down all the way through? Can a pin measure the depth?

I really think this ring once had a stone or a piece of cut glass in it.

8. BMRT

I believe you maybe right about it originally holding something else. However the edges of the tiny leaves around the body of the ring do not look crimped in at all. If the coral was added later whoever did it was extremely careful to not damage the setting. The rose beads do not open all the way down. I am unable to stick a needle all the way.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, BMRT.:) I have no reason to believe it wasn't made this way, roses surrounded by rose leaves, a perfect combination.

The style is very Florentine, with those gold leaves and salmony pink coral. The mark is not Italian though, so more likely Florentine inspired and US made.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  10. BMRT

I’ll need to look up Florentine. I’m unfamiliar with that name.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

From Florence, Italy.:)

12. antidiem

Curious. I wonder if they are glued into place at the base and perhaps glue fills the holes? It does not appear that the setting is the thing to actually hold them in place, it looks like the gold doesn't touch them? So I think these are glued in..? @BMRT , do you think these beads are glued into place?

Has anyone else ever seen small carved coral beads like this used in a ring before?

Christmasjoy, BMRT and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They are probably on posts, the way pearls sometimes are.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and BMRT like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Yes, I have a gold ring with one of those salmony pink coral roses.:)

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree! Nice work, Shelley -- and welcome!

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. BMRT

A real stunner for sure. I don’t know that this one had something in the center of the roses or not. The ring in the listing has no marks and there looks to be little holes into the bottom of the ring from either the diamonds or the roses themselves.

What do you all think? Perhaps mine had something in the centers too or no?

Christmasjoy, antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Closest things we've seen so far, but definitely some differences as you have noticed. (I actually like yours more!)

The linked one has rivets underneath, yours does not, so I don't think yours would have had something in the center, but just a guess.

Seems like the sides of yours is more stylized as well. I guess keep the search up. The plot thickens!

19. antidiem

Oh, yeas, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks Bronwen!

and it's got the hole in the center like this too?

And not inexpensive with diamonds either! Thanks, Shelley

I think not, BMRT, the faces of your coral beads are too pristine to have had a jeweler attach diamond settings and then another owner to remove them without scratching the beads, doubtful..

I really like this ring, hadn't thought it to be mass produced, but grateful to see another and to hear that AJ has a ring with one coral bead in it. It looks like a pea pod to me too! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted