Gold gilded frame

Discussion in 'Art' started by fotis_k, Sep 21, 2020.

1. fotis_k

fotis_k Member

For a long time I was trying to find an antique frame in specific dimensions to put a painting on from a trip that I had in Rome about 2 years ago.

Recently, I found this one in an antique store which was exactly what I wanted. It has a big crack though but I don’t care as I’m going to fix it very soon. Can you help me to identify it?

thank you!!

Attached Files:

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson Well-Known Member

It's pretty!
    Wooden double frame with plaster moldings in the rococo style. It's gilded and patinated.
    Can you take more pictures of the back?
    I believe it's not terribly old, about 50 years perhaps

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's not a crack, it's a CHUNK. On the other paw, if the painting is antique that missing chunk may actually be beneficial. It'll make it look like the frame and painting are more contemporary.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!! Your frame JUST made me realize MY frames, around most of my huge enamel on copper clowns, which look about the same as your frame, (or at least very similar) are about 50 years old as well!!! LORDY, does TIME FLY!!!!!

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is not true gilt, it is a dutch metal frame (brass alloy leaf). The corners are a bit large for the frame and because they are simply cast plaster without a foundation, can break off -as you've found out!
    Still, it is repairable, so all good.

Draft saved Draft deleted