Gold? Hallmark - can anyone identify this?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by evelyb30, Nov 4, 2017.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was found rattling around in a portable Last Rites altar thingie, but doesn't have anything to do with the box. I think this is a 14k mark, but the one place I found another image of this didn't know where it came from either. It's one of two bits off of the edge of something or other, but the "something" is long gone. It's a lion superimposed on an anchor with a lowercase x. DSCF7072.JPG

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

EDIT: Sorry....I DID NOT read all of your post.....:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. evelyb30

Lion. It looks like two British marks superimposed on each other.

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

No way is this British. And voila! It matches the Gorham mark for gold illustrated in Rainwater. :singing:

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Here's a picture of the mark on pg 91 of Rainwater's Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers. I tried to scan the page, but the book is too thick for the scan function to work. Had to take a photo instead.

Gorham Gold Mark.jpg

kyratango, komokwa, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bakersgma

So, on the assumption that the 3-digit number is 921, I went looking at Replacements to see if they have anything with that number. And they do. BUT, the item is an extremely fancy bonbon dish, with hardly a straight piece anywhere. And the dish is sterling, no mention of gold parts.

Ruth, you said this is 1 of 2 orphan pieces from the box. How long are they? Can we see a picture of both together?

8. evelyb30

Oho, so we have Gorham and gold. There isn't much to see, just two pieces of edging off of...something.
    DSCF7089.JPG DSCF7088.JPG

9. Bakersgma

And both pieces have a groove - almost like a place for a piece of mirror?

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I'd guess mounts for a wallet or maybe a prayer book, Gorham did a good amount of leather goods in the late 19th-early 20th century (the 'X' prefix with numbers indicates it was a regular production item, letters would indicate a special order).

~Cheryl

11. evelyb30

I'd guess prayer book, given the context. The bits have an opening and were made to fit around the edge of something or other.

kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. wendyjo

wendyjo New Member

lol, broken pieces of the arm of a pair of glasses. Would be a very good brand. I had Polos back in the early 90s that were gold frames and arms

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hi Wendyjo - welcome to the forums.

Interesting thought for this old thread, but have a hard time seeing these century-old gold mounts as having anything to do with eyeglasses...

~Cheryl

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted