Featured Gold mourning brooch dated 1819, help with inscription and is it a snake?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluumz, Dec 1, 2018.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This little pin was purchased by my grandmother in England in a charity shop during the 1970s. There are no markings but I assume that it is some form of gold. I read the inscription as:
    Mary Chapman
    Ob,,16,May,1819
    Olb,,47

My assumption is that Mary died on 16 May 1819 at age 47 but I don’t understand the Ob and Olb. Does anyone recognize these abbreviations?

Also, it looks like the glass window is surrounded by a snake?? I have not opened the pin, do you think I should?

0E947246-7990-4B40-A89C-00DA30649756.jpeg 8477CBFB-5955-418F-AA0C-A3BBBD6E5A73.jpeg 0707A03D-5321-4623-8034-EEC1DF58C82E.jpeg 47EFB992-E046-4933-8238-68D69C3D4890.jpeg 9DD072F8-C2F6-40DF-98FB-FBB086AD791A.jpeg 618F1BB3-739E-4D67-B352-974EB9A7F722.jpeg

komokwa, Bronwen, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Please don't open it. It is a commemorative or mourning brooch, and it would be gold. The snake stands for eternal life, which in this case poor Mary has in the afterlife.

3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

OB is short for "obit" (died) and OLB age at death but not sure what the "L" stands for. Possible an Anglo-Norman/latin word.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    tie.dye.cat, Bronwen, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The abbreviations are of Latin, without looking up the spelling, obituiat for died and I'd expect something from Aetiat for aged. I cannot make out your inscription to see if you have possibly misread it.

5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

6. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

I agree, do not open it! You might disturb the way the hair is sitting there nicely coiled/ wouldn't want any loose hairs falling out!

Bronwen, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The hinge looks a bit later than that, but the script is right for the early 19th. Lovely little mourning brooch, that.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The tube hinge was already used during that time, and the convex back is also early.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks so much, everyone!

The pin is quite small, approximately 3/4” across.
    Does it appear contemporary to 1819?
    I will NOT open it.

Bronwen, kyratango and judy like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a lovely little thing.

Debora

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks, learned something new again!

Perhaps what I read as Olb,,47 is actually At,,47.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Oh, WOW, thank you so much! I LOVE personalizing the piece, it means so much more. :)
    On the previous page, is the heading:
    THE MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS OF HOLT, CO. WILTS.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You’re Welcome. :)

kyratango and bluumz like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Figtree3, bluumz, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  16. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry's early response is of course correct, 'though technically the snake is an ourobouros (or ouroboros), a snake or dragon swallowing its own tail, thus symbolizing eternity or eternal life.

Figtree3, bluumz, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Figtree3, bluumz, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think the tricky bit is that it has been written as Æt. The orientation of the inscription interests me. Most women are right handed; most right handed persons would wear this brooch the other way up. A left handed or inattentive engraver, perhaps.

kyratango likes this.
  19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thank you, I'm enjoying looking through that website!
    HERE is an early 19th century brooch with a very similar snake. It is attributed to approximately 1820. Alas, mine doesn't have jewels like this one does!

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted