Featured Gold ring age & monogram

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by smallaxe, May 18, 2023.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

This is a ring handed down in my wife's family. It's sized for a girl or woman. I'm trying to work out which of her ancestors to connect it to. On the inside is what looks like F.P. 13. She doesn't have any ancestors with a last name starting with P, which is why I assumed those might be the giver's initials. Maybe those are the initials of the giver, and 1913 is the date. Does the style of the ring date it at all?

The monogram is also hard for me to make sense of. My best guess is FG. Do you read different initials? She did have an ancestor named Frances whose married name starts with a G, who died in 1919.
    20230518_165353.jpg 20230518_102514.jpg 20230518_170500.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It could be 1913, generally this style is a little later, if it had a dated hallmark I'd expect it to be 40's or 50's. The solid back and shoulders is typical of pieces pre 1970's although some later examples are also like this. Similar designs have been made since the early 20th century so unless there is a dated hallmark the family history is probably your best bet at dating it.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it does look though , like it was loved and worn for a lifetime !!!

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It does look worn, but I see rings from the 70's and 80's day in day out which are much more worn than this. It depends on the owner, what they do for a job and how well they look after it.

As I said, it could be that early, but it would be an outlier.

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

How do you explain the construction of the ring,I have never seen another example like this one.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Guessing it got that scratched by being on a man's pinkie.

Clue the non-expert in: what is so distinctive about this ring?

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Hollyblue

The top half seems to be 2 pieces and it's hollow.Can't tell from the photos if it has had a half shank added,it has been sized. There are 2+? holes half way up the shank.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  8. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I see "F" in the middle which is commonly where the surname's initial is engraved. The "G" at the right (if that's what it truly is) would represent the middle name. The letter at far left might be "W" or "M" based on the strong upright lines.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  9. smallaxe

The ring is solid, although not real thick, and appears to be one piece. The two "holes" are not actual holes. They are shadows from a bevel where the ring begins widening.

10. Hollyblue

If it were solid you would not see an open seam starting half way up the inside of the shank.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can ya get us another pic???

12. smallaxe

Here are more photos. @Hollyblue, I don't see any seams. Maybe reflections look like seams in the photos. The ring is very dainty, but it feels heavy for its size and thinness, weighing around 3 grams. 20230519_212453.jpg 20230519_213753.jpg 20230519_212722.jpg 20230519_212733.jpg 20230519_214515.jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that’s 1813 not 1913.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The family name on top started with an H, but that's all I've got. Looks rode hard put away wet, but softer gold gets dinged up more quickly than lower karatages. No gold marks obviously, but the old ones weren't marked necessarily.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted