Featured Good Afternoon Everyone! I Could Use Your Help In Identifying This Stone On Cufflinks. Ty!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Aug 20, 2022.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I thought it was jade too…

KSW and ezeepass like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think nephrite jade.

KSW, ezeepass and reader like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Those are fabulous! They really have a great look and clearly high quality.

I'd put the most research into finding the maker rather than learning what kind of stone it is. If you are reselling, that maker's name is going to be key.

Your photos are quite good, but if you could get a really clear close-up of the initials/signature, might be helpful. When I enlarge the photos above it becomes a tiny bit blurry. No guarantees we'll find the maker, but could maybe help if someone can decipher what's on there.

Cool cufflinks!

4. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Thank you Luicelle! I attached two images. This could be rmo or ow something IMG_2703.jpg IMG_2704.jpg

bercrystal likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Bronwen, KSW, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  6. ezeepass

KSW likes this.
  7. ezeepass

KSW and reader like this.
  8. ezeepass

Hi everyone! Lucille.b helped me in finding the designer (Yeah!) but I have not seen any cufflinks of this silversmith. It is a good or a bad thing?

KSW, moreotherstuff and Happy! like this.
  9. Lucille.b

I think neither good nor bad. Your cuff-links definitely show quality, and share a lot of attributes to other pieces this designer made. I think you can confidently say they are by this designer. Wasn't sure if that was what you were asking though.

If you mean salability, rings might be a slightly more popular item to sell as not that many people wear cuff-links these days. That said maybe collectors would be excited to find a different type of jewelry from this particular designer.

Either way, you would definitely find a buyer for these. Also in looking at other pieces from Ole Waldemar Jacobsen, there is an excellent chance that the gold metal on your cuff-links is 14K.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  10. ezeepass

Thank you so much! I did have the gold tested and it came up as 18K, but I have one more question if you don't mind. if you were to guess at the stone, what would you think it is? When I tested it on a machine it falls at chrysoprase, emerald and aquamarine. I can rule out emerald and aquamarine, but I found a etsy link with chrysoprase stone that looks like stone on the cufflinks. Can you please take a look? thank you.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/745868...8I6ERs17akeQa7M08dPrMt2mqnSfIKHBoCqf0QAvD_BwE

KSW likes this.
  11. ezeepass

Good morning! Since you had mentioned Beryl, I was wondering if you could look at the link? it is pic #2. Is it possible that my stones are beryl? Thank youhttps://www.etsy.com/listing/873283284/natural-beryl-cabochon-green-beryl?click_key=46f626572917c8794f3ec84026b79da5884e412a%3A873283284&click_sum=4217df97&ga_search_query=beryl&ref=shop_items_search_130&pro=1&frs=1

KSW likes this.
  12. ezeepass

Ok I also have a link for Beryl and wonder if you could take a look at that also. it is from the same seller and it is image #2. thank you
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/873283...y=beryl&ref=shop_items_search_130&pro=1&frs=1

KSW likes this.
  13. ezeepass

Sorry and also 271 on the link below
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/976711...y=beryl&ref=shop_items_search_142&pro=1&frs=1

KSW likes this.
  14. Lucille.b

Whether some kind of Jade or Agate Moss, pictures only go so far compared to an in-person evaluation. There are many folks here who know gems, and since there was some disagreement, thinking that means this is a difficult stone 100% ID by photos only.

My honest opinion is that the value in these cuff-links is the maker's name (the quality associated with that) and that the stone is secondary. You want to be as accurate as possible of course if listing, but if you can't ID it, I'd just say "some kind of stone like jade or moss agate possibly". This maker used quality components and no one is going to question that they are nicer stones.

15. ezeepass

Ok and thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I sincerely appreciate it very much. Enjoy your Sunday!

Lucille.b and KSW like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lucille.b and ezeepass like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just bringing this over because it was making me nuts looking back & forth.

Emerald & aquamarine are just particular colors of the mineral beryl09990+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- [cat jumped on keyboard]. Depending on your reason for ruling them out, you may also have ruled out beryl altogether. I do have a pendant with a beryl crystal that looks quite a lot like this.

Chrysoprase is basically green chalcedony, microcrystaline quartz, the stuff of agates of all types. I looked at all the examples of Jacobsen's work Google deigned to show me. Although I see he used a lot of opal, he also used a lot of stones in the quartz family, which inclines me in that direction, even if we can't quite put a name to the variety. I often encounter stones with this appearance identified as green aventurine, even when the sparkly mica inclusions are absent.

[​IMG]
    https://geology.com/gemstones/aventurine/

bercrystal, kentworld and ezeepass like this.
  18. ezeepass

Lol about the cat! Thank you so much for responding this is very helpful. I ruled out Emerald and Aquamarine because I couldn't find anything that had the spots and that was my only reason why I ruled them out. Now that you said you have a beryl crystal that looks like mine then maybe it is beryl as you said before. I will also look at the aventurine. Again thank so much, I appreciate your responses and for taking the time to help me with this. Enjoy your day.

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted