Featured Good Afternoon & I hope All is Well! Can Please Tell me if this are Native American? TY

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Jul 6, 2021.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Good afternoon! I have these earrings and they are turquoise and opal. In the back it has sterling on one earring and on the other it has MY. I am hoping some one will be able to tell me if these are native American. Thank you in advance for all your responses and have a wonderful and safe day.

@i need help
    @Any Jewelry

AA (2).JPG AA (3).JPG AA (4).JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very pretty, no initials I’m finding.
    Maybe someone else will have an idea.

LauraGarnet02 and ezeepass like this.
  3. ezeepass

Thank you for responding! I hope all is well

LauraGarnet02 and i need help like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

To my eyes they do not look NA at all, although the Navajo do inlay work using silver, turquoise & opal. It is the style that strikes me as wrong. Let's ask @komokwa

LauraGarnet02 and ezeepass like this.
  5. ezeepass

I totally agree with you! I just wanted to make sure because I don't want to list something that was not authentic and say it was. I appreciate your response and enjoy your evening

LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not all NA silversmiths make SW style jewelry,without identifying the maker's mark no one can say who made a piece.

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

My opinion: they could be Native American, but very well might not be - and there really is no way to tell. Listing them as "Southwest style" should be safe.

Lucille.b, Bronwen and reader like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I would probably buy them for myself as contemporary NA but agree they can only be sold as Southwestern.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    I am not saying this is Navajo, but the Y could be a member of one of the Yazzie families. And since opals are a relatively recent addition to the stones of choice, you could search for a recently working Navajo silversmith and lapidarist named M. Yazzie.
    Yazzie is a common name, so there are bound to be several M. Yazzies. Also, there could be several MY marks with slight differences, so make sure it is the same style and exactly the same mark.
    Good luck!:)

10. ezeepass

I will and thank you as always for your help. I sincerely appreciate it

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. ezeepass

this is the closest i found so far. what do you think. it belongs to
    Mary Yazzie
    AA (9).JPG

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think you should try contacting her but I really don’t think the name or tribal affiliation really matters. They’re lovely and opal, sterling silver, inlay, southwestern, dangle, long, etc.would get my attention. Obviously, if she will authenticate them all the better.

ezeepass and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

@reader, if ezeepass wants to sell them on a site like ebay, they need proof they are Native American to list them as such. Without proof it is a violation to list them as Native American.

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I guess I wasn’t clear. I agree that they cannot be listed as NA which is why I gave the specific keywords I gave. Every collector I know searches Southwestern silver. Meanwhile if they can get an email authentication they can be listed by the name and tribe.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Both the MY and the sterling marks are different, so I don't think it is likely. And a mark alone wouldn't suffice, you would also have to check the style(s) she works in.
    When it comes to most SW NA marks it isn't double check, but quadruple check, so many are similar.:(

I can only find jewellery by Mary Marie Yazzie, which is too old (1970s) and a very different style. Mostly beautiful silver beads and artistic compositions using beads of various materials.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    reader and ezeepass like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wonder if these aren't one of the decent shopping channels.

17. ezeepass

Thank you Any Jewelry!! I will keep looking I also found a melissa yazzie and Mark yazzie.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I often get the impression half the Navajo nation is called Yazzie.:playful:

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

And the other half is Begay!

20. ezeepass

I am noticing

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted