Featured Gorham Pattern Help Please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Nov 4, 2023.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have this piece, I researched "Gorham A4068" and I get a few hits for "Sterling Silver Gorham Deco Wine Coaster".

For example: https://antiquecupboard.net/product...ver-wine-coaster-a4068-1-x-5-1-4-2-7-ozt-7235

When I try to confirm the pattern name is Deco I get a slew of Gorham patterns in Art Deco style.

Can anyone confirm it is a wine coaster and that the pattern name is Deco? It measures 5-1/4" wide, the bottom measures 3" wide, it is 3/4" tall.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

GorhamWineCoasterTop.jpg GorhamWineCoasterBack.jpg GorhamWineCoasterMrk.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Cupboard has a 1-800 number........ why not call them free, and ask?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pattern has no name, deco being a description of style.

Figtree3 and DragonflyWink like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Your item and the reference are a dead match, so yes yours is a wine bottle coaster.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised. That's not Art Deco in style.

Debora

6. Marie Forjan

I know, that's why I am wondering about it. The above link shows:

GorhamWineCoasterLinkInfo.jpg

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote that was mistaken whether they thought it was a "name" or a "style."

8. komokwa

looks more like art nouveau

trip98, DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Many sellers don't know the difference between Art Nouveau and Art Deco.:rolleyes:

10. Marie Forjan

Boy, do I know it!

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, they're nice folks, have bought from them in the past, but not always reliable in their info - lost some respect after running across a set of fairly dreadful known recast salad servers, only marked 'Sterling', but they IDed as by a prominent maker, even though they also had a genuine set in that pattern. Let them know, and received a politely patronizing response that they 'would look into it', been quite a while, but still remains in their inventory, still presented as genuine and still high-priced...

That said, would also describe as Art Nouveau rather 'Deco', and can't really see this as a wine coaster, the size of the interior is a bit small (3.25" diameter is about the minimum for a wine coaster, around 4" to 5.5" more typical) and the curved sides atypical, it's more likely a bonbon dish, pin tray, or even underplate - would expect straight sides along the lines of this earlier Gorham wine coaster:

https://www.kensingtonhouseantiques.com/items/967412/Victorian-Gorham-Sterling-Silver-Wine-Coaster

Would question the 'wine coaster' IDs of several that Antique Cupboard shows - as example, this Kirk & Son #407A 'wine coaster', which is clearly a dish/bowl and appears in the maker's catalog as a 'Candy or Nut Dish':

https://antiquecupboard.net/product...-1-2-x-5-1-2-7656?_pos=1&_sid=e79492616&_ss=r

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

for a small piece it's wonderfully expressive !!!:happy:

DragonflyWink likes this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Wine coasters sell for good money. Nut dishes not so much. Becomes a convenient mistake at that point eh?

DragonflyWink and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very informative, Cheryl -- as usual!

DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted