Featured Great Grandmother's Cameo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anna Johndrow, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

Cameo Full.jpg IMG_3975.JPEG IMG_3978.JPEG View attachment 256900
    Would love the expert's and enthusiast's opinions of this cameo. It belonged to my great grandmother who was a missionary in Burma from the very late 19th century to just at WWII. I would like it to go to a good home as I my children are not keen on this type of memento and I don't want it to end up in a $2 bin at a garage sale.

There is a minuscule marking on the pin but no matter how diligent I am at the photography and enlargement, I cannot feel confident what it says. It sort of looks like a K at the beginning of the three character, but 45 or 75 behind the K which doesn't make sense to me. While she lived in Burma for almost 50 years, she was from Indiana and spent much time travelling between Burma, Chicago, Indiana and Iowa, if that has any bearing on the determination.

I understand that the subject matter of the cameo makes it of interest. It has a hinged loop for wearing on a chain and is framed in gold. The mark that runs from the charioteers's head to the cupid in the air does not appear to be a crack but a mark in the cameo's surface. When I run my fingernail over it it is completely smooth. But then, I know nothing about this and turn to you guys for expertise.

Reading the postings from the Forum has become a daily routine for me and one I look forward to with great expectations. It is such fun to read how the analysis of an item takes shape. It is through this experience that I have started to delve into the meager possessions I have inherited. Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Attached Files:

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I will interested in @Bronwen's comments.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Aurora Guido Reni fresco chariot of sun.jpg

Guido Reni's fresco, sometimes known as Aurora's Chariot, which I never understand, since it is Apollo/Sol's chariot. Aurora leads the way; the Genius of Light is overhead; the Hours dance around the chariot in their endless circle; Apollo at the reins.

Great grandmother's cameo is helmet shell, cut in Italy, set somewhere else late 19th/early 20th century & has had some findings added/replaced, confusing the age picture a bit.

Sometimes Aurora appears by herself:

Aurora mine after Reni.jpg

5. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

Thank you Bronwen. Great information. It makes sense that it was acquired and set at a later date since she traveled from Burma to the States frequently. What is it that you see that indicates that things were added or replaced? I'm in learning mode. Any input on that miniscule mark on the pin? Thanks in advance.

Any Jewelry, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The hinge is late 19th, but the pin and clasp have been amended.

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The tube hinge & the way the pin stem is attached to it are much older than the safety clasp, which is approx. second third of the 20th century. [As OBB just said.] From what I can see of it, the bail looks newer still. The custom bezel that follows all the curves of this particular piece of shell is another feature that disappeared when the 20th really got underway.

Draft saved Draft deleted