Featured Great Grandmother's necklace question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wiscbirddog, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Am I following? The brooch does not have a hook at the bottom that the watch slides onto? She was running the pin stem through the loop on the watch to secure it? If so, she would have had to detach the whole business to read the time. She might drop the brooch, but she wasn't going to drop the watch!

KSW, judy and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Can we see them, up close & personal?

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

On closer inspection, there is a loop the watch is attached to BUT it appears to have been bent way up (under the pin part) and there is no way to separate the watch from the brooch without bending it back down. Bet she had trouble with it falling off & someone gave that hook a major 'tweek'!

Almost time to fix supper but I'll try my luck with a photo or two this evening.

KSW, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It probably started out that way. It just means a watch with metal all the way around. That way if you were out hunting the watch stood less chance of getting smashed up. That's how I heard it, anyway.

KSW, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Do you know whether the watch runs? If not, may no longer be a reason for it to be detachable & to have a leash, just left as a decorative element of the brooch.

6. wiscbirddog

@Bronwen

The hands turn freely but it doesn't run. Do you think I should have fixed? It seems in very good condition.

Here are 3 pictures. The final one shows how severely the loop has been bent.

DSC00414.JPG DSC00413.JPG DSC00415.JPG

Xristina, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

You may as well look into it. The place I use takes the watch & gets back to me with a price quote for the repair, giving me the opportunity to then decide whether or not to proceed. Sometimes a good cleaning is the main need. Do hope you have someone who will at least give you an honest estimate, so you don't get a nasty surprise. Mine also gives a 3 month warranty if they get a watch running & will have another go if it conks out in that time. But grandma's watch was declared beyond hope after several attempts.

Yours is very similar to mine. Can't read the maker's name on yours, but can tell it looks longer than 'Crown', which is what is on mine. Mine has Roman numerals, but also 5, 10, 15, etc., in red around the edge & a separate second hand. The design on the case of mine is simpler.

Watches that are made to hang as pendants typically have the 12 opposite the stem. On yours & mine, the two are at right angles, so think they were intended as pocket watches.

8. Bronwen

I expect a jeweller could also safely bend the hook back out enough to allow the two pieces to be separated. Surely it does not need to be by much?

9. wiscbirddog

Thank you so much for your insight! I am going to find a good watchmaker and at least get an estimate on repairs.

The original picture was taken in 1901.

The maker name is: Princess

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"Watches that are made to hang as pendants typically have the 12 opposite the stem. On yours & mine, the two are at right angles, so think they were intended as pocket watches."
    you hold it with your right hand on the stem and with the left hand fingers you feel the pulse of the patient. that's also why it has an additional complication with the seperate dial for the seconds.
    nurse watch.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I have several tiny watch pins, and the hook on most of them is that shape too, you have to open the catch to hang something on the hook... useful for hanging a dangle without loosing it in wearing, but puzzling when it comes to use a watch on it...:facepalm::bucktooth:

The partial mark on your hook may be Krementz, or another Newark 1900's maker:peeking:

Bronwen, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely set, wisc. Beautiful watch case, and I always love Algerian knots, like you have on the pin. They are also called love knots.
    As the others said, it is a ladies' full hunter pocket watch.
    Watch lockets are lockets that look like watch cases on the outside but contain no watch. Like my locket, which is on a watch chain to complete the deception.;) These were often worn tucked into a broad waistband, or a small pocket in the band:

upload_2019-2-14_11-38-56.jpeg
    Agree, yours and Bronwen's are hunter pocket watches, which typically have the hinge at 9 o'clock and the stem at 3 o'clock.
    Regular pendant watches or fob watches (like nurse's watches) are exactly upside down, the 12 down and the 6 up. You don't need to open the case, but just flick it up to see the time or to time something.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Aquitaine, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  13. wiscbirddog

Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate all the information!

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have this lovely watch pin, I took it to my jeweler and had them make a small dangle with a teardrop shaped pearl. It hangs on the hook on the back and I put one of those plastic earring backs on it to make sure it stays on :)

ArtNouLady14KPearlsDmnds.jpg

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Marie, and such a good idea!

Aquitaine, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the clip part for the watch is an add on piece of scrap from a goldsmith's bench.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. ConnieSue

ConnieSue New Member

I can't help but notice how tiny her waist is!

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, a cameo watch pin -- Lovely!

And @wiscbirddog , you are fortunate to have the watch since it's a family piece.

I have this photo in my collection, no relation to me. I've wondered whether the woman is wearing a watch. I guess if it is, this would also be reversed to show the back of the case.

Arkansas Woman2 (806x1024).jpg

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

A cameo with a timepiece theme. :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. wiscbirddog

@ConnieSue Welcome to the site! I'm totally blown away with how tiny her waist is! By 1901 she had already had 4 of her 9 children.

Darkwing Manor, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted