Featured Greek/Roman Angel Stamp ring?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Jun 20, 2023.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Hello,

Going through my parents estate I came across this ring. I though it looked really cool. Makes me wonder if Authentic what it was used to seal. Curious what more knowledgeable people on antiques think

Thanks! 20230620_170437.jpg 20230620_170442.jpg 20230620_170446.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A better word than "stamp" would be "seal."

Debora

Boland, kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Ah yes, thank you. This, I believe, would of been pressed on wax. Not used as a stamp.

kyratango, Debora and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Greek goddess Nike is depicted with wings.

Debora

Figtree3, Boland and Bronwen like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Possibly Fortuna with the wheel.

@Bronwen

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does resemble Nike/Victoria with a spear & shield but think MOS is correct that it is a wheel & therefore Fortuna. I would call it a signet ring.

Figtree3, Boland, 2manybooks and 5 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

8. Bronwen

Thinking about it a bit more, it does have a feature I have noticed is consistent in Roman rings but rarely/never seen in modern designs: the oval of the engraved element, when the ring is on the hand, sits with the long axis perpendicular to the long axis of the finger, it sits athwart, so we see the goddess as sideways. A modern ring maker would not be able to resist positioning this figure so that she could easily be seen as upright without the wearer having to twist his hand around.

It may in fact be an antiquity, or it may be a reproduction. There are a lot of both around & I know of no sure way for the layman to tell them apart without provenance.

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Certainly has a fair amount of mineralization (& 'earth rot') to it.But as Bronwen alluded could be an antiquity or newer repro.
    Can this be easily (cheaply !) scientifically analyzed & dated ?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I want nothing more than scientific data on this stuff. I live in NC. I got so much.. I have a hard time believingnits a reproduction. If it is, it's a good one..

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Do you know where your folks acquired the stuff? Looks like it was underground a while but it’s pretty easy for fakers to replicate that look. Or just really bury things a few years and then sell them.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Yes. Between India and Afghanistan. My Dad's contact, named Ahmad, traveled all over in 2009. That was the time to loot and ship apparently. Very destabilized and customs was slack af

Figtree3 and NanaB like this.
  13. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I have so much. I'm the Executor for my parents estate too. I'm trying to identify this stuff scientifically and through literature. Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Potteryplease and Boland like this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Not too sure what to make of what you just said. Were your parents buying looted artefacts? Or maybe Im misunderstanding your comment?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  15. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Its hard to say. I was serving in the Army during that time and both my parents are dead now. I don't know exactly my dad's relationship with Ahmad.. but it would appear.. Authentic. Which.. idk what that would make it

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  16. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I've been charged with handling my parents estate. It's hard to say where this stuff exactly came from.. but I know physically what I have been charged with and it appears to be unbelievable.. from a physical sense and historical sense... I'm all about facts and history...

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  17. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

With that said.. that's why I'm posting here. All I care about are facts. As it appears from many angles. I wanna know. All the perspectives paint a picture for me.

Potteryplease and Boland like this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Fair enough,thanks for the honest answer.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    skyshark likes this.
  19. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Ya man. The truth is always better than bs.

Boland likes this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I hear you. Also,sorry about your parents.
    Well the knowledgeable members here will help and give you advice as best they can (they always do)

Potteryplease and skyshark like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted