Green early plastic bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Another of my bead necklaces this week. An olive green, presumably early plastic graduating knotted bead necklace. They are slightly faceted barrel shape and feel quite soft.
    The colours are true to life.
    Not sure if it's Bakelite or another manufacturer?

IMG_20180318_162539.jpg IMG_20180318_164028.jpg IMG_20180318_162926.jpg IMG_20180318_163011.jpg IMG_20180318_163536.jpg IMG_20180318_163751.jpg IMG_20180318_163609.jpg IMG_20180318_163002.jpg IMG_20180318_163418.jpg

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think Bakelite, but get a cotton bud with a wee bit of Maas on it and rub gently. If it goes yellow, then it's Bakelite.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Is that a bug inclusion in the last picture?

4. anundverkaufen

Could be Dominican amber or another area where green/greenish amber is found, those beads look natural not man made, they're all different sizes and shapes and if thats a bug odds are even better.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Amber is possible, but the Dominican stuff I've seen was much browner. It might be Baltic amber, or something else. A look at the bead holes would help narrow it down.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Ratsy Brown

Here are some pics of the bead holes, and a couple of other scuffs.
    IMG_20180318_224615.jpg IMG_20180318_224541.jpg IMG_20180318_224518.jpg IMG_20180318_224515.jpg IMG_20180318_224459.jpg

7. Ratsy Brown

I think it's an inclusion of something but it's a long stretch to say it's an insect. More like a bit of vegetation?

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. anundverkaufen

Try the salt water float test I mentioned in your other thread. 1/3 cup of salt, completely dissoled in 2/3 cup water, if it floats your'e golden.

9. Ratsy Brown

Thanks anund, I'll try in the morning. Bedtime for now

Christmasjoy, judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is a "something" (still) in its pupa stage.

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing ridges in side, so odds are these were drilled. That ups the odds for amber.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

UV light is the best test.

Christmasjoy and Ratsy Brown like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about amber at all, but do know that it is surprisingly light for its size. Since you do not have anything other than the cord adding to the weight, you can make one (Goldilocks) assessment: when you weigh it in your hand, is it lighter than you would expect if the beads were made of any of the other materials under consideration?; heavier?; about right?

The more I look at the great photos of drill holes, interior & exterior surface texture, shape of chips, the more I think it is some kind of early imitation amber. I don't how to characterize the material in chemical terms.

I posted this pic on another thread a while back, beads that were sold to me as just that, an early attempt at artificial amber.

AmberBeadsA.jpg AmberBeadsB.jpg

The metal caps prevent getting a really good sense of size for weight, but I would say, allowing for the metal elements, they feel heavier & denser than I would expect if they were natural amber.

I'm confused by the irregular, bumpy shapes of most of the beads, as if the pieces had been tumbled, but the appearance, especially in that last photo, of having been turned on a lathe.

15. Ratsy Brown

Thanks for that Bronwen. My instinct when I first saw these was early plastic or similar, the colour varience when shone with a light just doesn't look right to me. I tried the salt water test and they sunk. I will try and get hold of some Mass and a uv light this week. They seem to be essentials for bead testing.

Thanks all

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted