Featured Green glass base help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Roger67, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg My daughter just sent me this picture of these. Does it look like some kind of oil lamp or lamp base? Looks like some kind of hobnail. What do you think of these. TIA can not find anything with a foot like that.

lauragarnet, cxgirl and tyeldom3 like this.
  2. Roger67

Sorry that's the only picture she sent me. :jawdrop: Hey at least she is looking at 19 year old. That's my girl. Lol Don't tell me they don't listen because she said dad is this Vaseline glass!

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Roger, give her the "If it's green, it's not vaseline" line, and she'll never forget it!

4. Roger67

Thanks SBSVC and I will remember that too. Thanks!!!

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Kerosene lamp bases would be my guess , I do find the raised lip on the bottoms interesting . I cant recall seeing that before ,but I cant recall lots of things anymore so that means nothing .

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Salt and Pepper shakers?
    She didn't give you a size?
    Looking at the squares on the shelving unit, if 2" sq. then they are only about 4-5 " tall.

If lamp bases they are new, because of the screw top.

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I saw one online with a light socket on top and a cord coming out the bottom, so ask her if it's open or if it could even hold oil.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The shape of the bases of these lamps is referred to as a saucer base. The neck of these lamps shows threads for screwing on a collar for a oil lamp or light socket. They could date from the 1920s to yesterday. I'm not sure of the glass pattern of the fonts and stems. It could be a hobnail, thousand eyes or a dozen other patterns. To be perfectly honest I suspect they started life as electic lamps.

--- Susan

yourturntoloveit and lauragarnet like this.
  10. Roger67

Thanks everybody for your replys!! Well I told her to shop around the store and let me research a minute. I told her to go back and take a picture of the bottom and it looked like it may had been a oil lamp at one time and someone had try to cut a hole to make a lamp I guess?? And broke it while cutting a hole. She was so mad. But thanks for all your help!! But I like the saucer bottom I have never seen one like that. O well...

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And they're $1.99 each........soooooo.....

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I can only find this in Google images, something long gone from ebay. Maybe it had an original Houze sticker, since it was listed as such.
    [​IMG]
    Depression Vaseline Green Houze Houzex electric boudoir hobnail lamp with dish

Here's one that is pictured glowing under black light, so even though not vaseline, uranium glass would be the term.
    [​IMG]
    Title: Vaseline Hobnail Depression Glass Boudiour Table Lamp *Glows Green in UV Light*
    Sold Price: $22.49 # of Bids: 6
    Search Words: Depression Glass

13. Roger67

Thanks lauragarnet for all your research!! I do wish these hadn't be broke, I like everything about them!! She said shoot I thought I found something good lol and I told her she did but they where broke. I'm figuring someone as broke making hole for cord to make lamp. What a shame. Thanks!!!

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted